Kettle Sour flavoring with Juice??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppah

Reaction score
Figured there are plenty of experts here to help me with this but I'm thinking of trying some flavoring using bottles of 100% juice in a kettle sour and was curious how much fruit juice I would need in a 5 gallon batch and whether this would work as well as simply adding fruit or puree. I figured the ease of adding fruit juice would keep the amount of sediment and chunks of fruit I need to deal with when bottling down a lot to make that process easier.

I figured I'd add it 2-3 days after primary fermentation starts to let the sugars ferment out with the rest of it. Thoughts? Will this work?

Thanks so much guys!

I do a Hazy IPA and add “simply grapefruit” brand juice after primary fermentation. I eyeball it but usually use right around 40oz. For a 5 gallon batch.
I also do a kettle soured Berliner Weiss and use 6lb of tangerine for a 5 gallon batch. I peel and freeze the tangerines then thaw and juice them when needed. Hope this helps..

oh, and yes, I wait until 2-3 days on my kettle sour before adding juice..

I do a Hazy IPA and add “simply grapefruit” brand juice after primary fermentation. I eyeball it but usually use right around 40oz. For a 5 gallon batch.
I also do a kettle soured Berliner Weiss and use 6lb of tangerine for a 5 gallon batch. I peel and freeze the tangerines then thaw and juice them when needed. Hope this helps..

oh, and yes, I wait until 2-3 days on my kettle sour before adding juice..
I'm planning on trying a Raspberry and maybe a Mango in separate fermenters. Do you think the same idea (ie:40oz per 5 gallon) would be a reasonable amount to get some good flavor or should I go more or less? I know it'll come with experimentation but just looking for a good starting point. Thanks in advance 😉

Back