kettle size for 3 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksim86

Reaction score
right now i'm doing extract only and have found that 2.5-3.5 gallon batches are the sweet spot for my needs. I'd like to upgrade my kettle from the generic $30 5 gallon one i have now and would like the option to try BIAB sometime down the road.

I do that size BIAB batches in my old 5 gal pot, but I need to sparge. Something like 7 gal should work if you want to do mostly full volume mash.

I assume you are going to mash in your boil kettle? I'm thinking 7 gal would be sufficient. However, I'd recommend going larger in case you want to brew bigger batches.

As a data point, I brew 5.5gal batches and use an 11 gal kettle. With an 19+ lb grain bill (IIPA) the kettle will just begin to become too small to do a full volume mash.

I agree with the above. A 7 gallon pot gives plenty of head space to work with for a 3 gallon full volume boil. You would likely start with near 4.5 gallons of water, then add the grain, and the level will rise above 5 gallons with that alone.

I havent really seen any 7 gallon kettles and I was hoping I could get away with a 6 gallon. Do you think that would be OK if I was only doing session beers around 5% ABV?

Also is there a preference for shape of kettle? would I be better off with a tall skinny kettle or a short and wide kettle?

I mostly do 2.5-3.5 gallon full volume BIAB batches and I use a 10 gallon kettle. it's a little overkill but I plan to up my production to 5-6 gallon batches later in the year once I get my keg system set up.
If you have no intention of brewing more than 3.5 gallons I would go with an 8 gallon pot but for a few more dollars you can get a 10 gallon pot and have room to expand capacity.
Check out Colorado Brewing Systems or Spike Brewing.
I think Northern Brewing has a $50 off special on some pots if you get the one with a ball valve and thermometer. I think it would run you $130 plus shipping.

I havent really seen any 7 gallon kettles and I was hoping I could get away with a 6 gallon. Do you think that would be OK if I was only doing session beers around 5% ABV?

As Bobby noted the 30 qt size is quite common. With 6 gals you'll probably be able to fit a full volume mash for mid range beers. With larger beers you'll likely need to sparge. As I mentioned I'm fine with my 5 gal pot but I do sparge. All depends on what you want. I prefer the smaller pot for the stove top and so I can use the oven to hold mash temps, I don't want a larger pot and 10 gal pot would overkill. If there is a chance you might move up to regularly making 5 gals then as the others said you might want to go bigger now.

I use a 6 gal pot for my 3 gal batches. 90% of my beers fit just fine. I'm not much of a big beer brewer, I did a 7.5% IPA and that needed a sparge. If you're planning on brewing mostly 5 to 6.5%-ish batches a 6 gal kettle should be fine.

I do 2 gallon batches and can just barely get away with full volume mashes in my 5 gallon pot depending on my grain bill.

I'd suggest 7-8 gallons as a sweet spot.

The other thing to consider is your burner. Are you doing stove top now. Are you planning to get a propane burner. I only do stove top and I get a better more vigorous boil with my tall 7.5 gallon thin aluminum pot compared to my fat thick stainless steel 6 gallon pot.

i do stovetop but also have a propane burner that I've yet to use because my current kettle is too small and flimsy. Are the bayou classic kettle's tri-clad on the bottom? does that matter? I was also looking at the update intl kettles and the tall boy from northern brewer.

I'd say go for a 10 gallon if you got a propane burner to use. That way you have the ability to do 5 gallon when you want without having to buy another kettle. I do both 3 and 5 gallon and use my 10 gal kettle.

I know it's not on your two choices, but I'd get a drilled kettle, I personally like welded, for a valve. Makes transfer of work simpler, and not having to siphon is one less thing to clean/sanitize on brew day. I didn't think I'd want it on my kettle, but having used the valve now I wouldn't get one without. If you ever even remotely think you'll do 5 gallon batches get a 10 gallon kettle. An 8 gallon is doable, but that extra 2 gallons makes things a whole lot easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do 3gal batches in a 8gal kettle and it works fine. I have done a few 5gal batches too, but you really have to watch it close as come to boil.

Look at the tall boy kettles they are similar to the mega pots for a slightly lower price. I have one of the 15gal kettles and am pretty happy with it.

I have a valve on my 8gal pot, but it sort of gets in the way at time when moving it, I decided not to get one on my 15gal kettle and just siphon out the wort.

I end up dumping too much beer when I make 5 gallon batches. I dont have enough friends who like craft beer to help me drink it. Couldn't I always just use a pound or two of extract in addition to the grain if I wanted to do a 5 gallon batch?

Do you guys use a wort chiller for 3 gallon batches or just an ice bath?

I end up dumping too much beer when I make 5 gallon batches. I dont have enough friends who like craft beer to help me drink it. Couldn't I always just use a pound or two of extract in addition to the grain if I wanted to do a 5 gallon batch?

You could, but the difference in size and price of 8 vs 10 gallon is minimal. To each their own, but I'd rather have the option of having the extra capacity than not. I'm actually kinda wishing I would have got a 15 gallon kettle to do 5 gallon brews. Making bigger beers in even a 10 gallon is pushing it.

Wort chiller, an ice bath would take some time. You can make your own for around $40. I also bought a small fountain pump that I put in a cooler of ice water. The initial hot water that comes out gets used for cleanup, then I recirculate back into cooler once around 100 deg.

I use a IC made from 25ft of copper tubing for my 3gal batches, give the wort a gentle stirring for the first few minutes gets the temp down pretty quick (100F in 4 or 5min).

You can always add extract or start off with a higher gravity then top up after the boil if your want. Like I said I did 5gal batches in a 8gal pot, you just need to watch it close as come to boil. Stirring and a spray bottle of cold water works well to knock down the foaming. Once the hot break falls all is good. A 10gal pot would allow you some headroom and easier occasional 5gal batch.

i have 8 gallon but sometimes find myself wanting a 10. An occassional 90 minute boil and a once in a while 6 gallon batch (to split into 2 kegs) makes that happen. I never thought I would do a double boil but I do and it's great...you should consider that b4 ordering.

If you're considering the Bayou, I like this one better.

(link)

It's a little cheaper and has a ball valve.

it doesnt have a tri-clad base and the reviews are not great about the valve.

The answer to that problem; drink more beer! It takes focus and discipline but if I can do it, you can... ;)

A 25 ft chiller coil should do the trick for 3 gal. But if you ever think you'll step up to 5 gal batches, go with 50 ft. I bought the copper tubing online and made my own. About $45-$50 all in for a 50 ft chiller including the garden hose fitting.

:mug:

it doesnt have a tri-clad base and the reviews are not great about the valve.

Just an FYI, you don't need a tri clad bottom. Just watch your heat input. Doubt your stove top is powerful enough to cause scorching. Your propane burner might be, but just be cautious and don't go full bore on the fuel and you'll be fine.

I looked at the Anvil 7.5 gallon today and it is really nice but not sure I'm ready to drop $215 on it. I also noticed that the Bayou is thinner than the others and has welded handles. I'm kinda leaning towards the Megapot with a 20% off coupon.

I looked at the Anvil 7.5 gallon today and it is really nice but not sure I'm ready to drop $215 on it. I also noticed that the Bayou is thinner than the others and has welded handles. I'm kinda leaning towards the Megapot with a 20% off coupon.

I was looking at a lot of the same kettles that you were, and that's what I ended up doing, too. I started with 1 gallon BIAB batches, but wanted to move up to 2.5-3 gallon batches. I very strongly considered the 5.5 gal Anvil, but ultimately decided that I would rather get something bigger so I'd have the flexibility to do larger batches in the future (and my last two batches have been 4 gallons, so I'm glad I did).

I have been very happy with my Megapot, and the price was pretty reasonable with the coupon.

I have an 8.5 gallon and make 3-4 gallon batches. I wish I went with a larger one. I like 3 gallons for experimenting, but I'd like to be able to make 5 or more of a recipe i've proven.

I have an 8.5 gallon and make 3-4 gallon batches. I wish I went with a larger one. I like 3 gallons for experimenting, but I'd like to be able to make 5 or more of a recipe i've proven.

Exactly what I said earlier. The difference in price and size between 8 and 10 gallon is small, but having those 2 extra gallons of capacity when needed is huge. And if not needed, no big deal.

I'm late to the party- I do 2.5-3 gal Biab batches. I wish I had a ten gallon kettle. This is because as I have found this too is my sweet spot for my drinking and consumption. I now really try to do different styles and as of late they have been big beers. Grain bills over 10-13 lbs. and boil overs blow. I'll show you a pick if you like. Takes way too much time to clean. So I'm looking at a 15-18 gal pot for the room and yes if I ever want a 5 gal batch I'll have it.

right now i'm doing extract only and have found that 2.5-3.5 gallon batches are the sweet spot for my needs. I'd like to upgrade my kettle from the generic $30 5 gallon one i have now and would like the option to try BIAB sometime down the road.

My rule of thumb is that for X size batch at bottling time you want 1.7-2X size pot. Obviously less if you do extract and add water after the fact.

So for 5G batch (6G in 6.5G fermenter but loss due to fermentation and true), finish with maybe 7G in kettle, which means starting with 8G or so plus some room for Boil overs.

well I waited too long to decide and wanted to brew this weekend so just got the 24qt Update International kettle off Amazon prime. Eventually I'll probably get something in the 8-10 gallon range with a ball valve, but for now this should get me by on extract brews and my first forays in to BIAB.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1MKBS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Back