Kettle clearance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtlangst

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy biab gear to start homebrewing. PlAnning on getting a 10gal kettle and going to brew 1, 2.5, up to 5 gal batches. My stove top only had 4” clearance from the top of the kettle to a microwave which would cover half of the kettle. Will this be an issue? Should just get a burner from bayou classic?

I would get the burner. Not because of clearance, though that may be an issue with it being a microwave, moisture and heat that close is probably not advisable, plus a boil over could be messy, but because of the volume. Trying to get 7.5 gallons of water to boil on most stoves takes a long time.

The smaller batches you should be fine on stove top. (1 and 2.5)

Another thing to consider is ventilation, especially for boiling 5gal batches. That throws off a lot of moisture, if your ventilation is inadequate you won't be happy with the side effects.

Looks like I need to just get a burner and do it in the garage. So do you need a pulley system for 5 gal batches to pull the bag out?

You’re thinking on the right track with hefting that wet grain sack out of the pot. Lots of ways to do it (dig around this site for some cool ideas). I use a single pulley on a rafter hook in the garage.

... do you need a pulley system for 5 gal batches to pull the bag out?

No. The pulley system is not a requirement, you can lift the bag out by hand and hang it. But a pulley system makes the process much easier and safer, especially if you use a ratcheting pulley.

A two pulley rig will give you mechanical advantage, enough to let you lift the bag with only one arm. The ratcheting pulley will keep the bag from falling should you accidentally lose grip on the rope.

It's one of the best and easiest improvements you can make to a BIAB rig.

I would get the burner. Not because of clearance, though that may be an issue with it being a microwave, moisture and heat that close is probably not advisable, plus a boil over could be messy, but because of the volume. Trying to get 7.5 gallons of water to boil on most stoves takes a long time.

The smaller batches you should be fine on stove top. (1 and 2.5)

I am thinking of going the 2.5 gal route and using the anvil 5.5 size kettle. So do you think that size with 2.5 batch size be doable on a stove top? In regards to condensation etc...

In winter, I brew 5.5 gallon batches in my kitchen using a 15,000 BTU gas burner on my range. It's slower than propane outdoors, but good enough. I have an overhead fan above the range that vents outside. It removes some moisture, but brewing does increase the humidity level in the house. The air is really dry in winter here, so that's not such a bad thing. I get some fogging on the windows, but it clears up quickly after the boil is done. I use a standing fan in the kitchen doorway to spread the moisture into other areas of the house. You may be able to get an idea of the moisture level by taking any large pot you already have and boiling water for an hour or until you've boiled off about a gallon.

I am thinking of going the 2.5 gal route and using the anvil 5.5 size kettle. So do you think that size with 2.5 batch size be doable on a stove top? In regards to condensation etc...

I do 2.5 gal stove top BIAB in a 5 gal pot. I run my exhaust fan, but really condensation would not be much of an issue even if not. I have a cheap gas stove that heats quickly and maintains a decent boil. When doing 5 gal batches outdoors, I use a ratcheting pulley to suspend the bag. In the kitchen I use a colander over top of a bucket to let the bag drain. I have used a ice bath in the sink to chill 2 and 2.5 gal batches, but my immersion chiller makes it faster. I use a 3 gal Fermonster fermenter.

I find that brewing a 5 gal batch on my back patio feels like 4.5 hours of work, where the 2.5 gal stovetop is more like putzing around the kitchen for 3.5 hours. I can usually get some chores done around the house in the process.

I would just take some HD aluminum foil and cover the back half of the kettle directing the steam forward and away from the microwave.

Also a small day 6” desktop fan could keep the air moving in the vicinity of the kettle top and ease condensation on the microwave.

Seems the low intensity boil is the new homebrewtalk desirable, so there isn’t a need to steam up your whole kitchen...jmo :)

10g kettle. If you buy the smaller one, you will end up kicking yourself when you upgrade the kettle in 6 months.

Have you considered an all in one setup like the Brewers edge mash and boil or the anvil foundry? They are reasonably priced, easy to use, versatile, and you can brew whatever batch size you want inside or out. All you need is a gfci outlet. I have the mash and boil and love it. It's simple to use and the perfect size for 2.5 to 5 gallon batches.

Have you considered an all in one setup like the Brewers edge mash and boil or the anvil foundry? They are reasonably priced, easy to use, versatile, and you can brew whatever batch size you want inside or out. All you need is a gfci outlet. I have the mash and boil and love it. It's simple to use and the perfect size for 2.5 to 5 gallon batches.

Agreed - these are nice systems that include a lot for the money. I was seriously considering the foundry for a while; I like the fact that it can be used with either 120v or 240v power.

Yeah, they are totally worth it. I tried the stove top setup for a while and to me it was just a PIA. I love my M&B, it makes the brew day so fun and relaxing.

Cheers!

thanks for the info. Didnt know those even were an option. Are there concerns with ventilation while using as far as condensation?

I do 5.5 gal batches ( just because i want 5 gallons in my finished product) I have a 10 Gal kettle, which is perfect for my 4-6% ABV batches. I do brew outside on a burner. I did do a mistake a brewed inside a garage in the winter with the doors closed. Way to much moisture, end results were not pretty ( beer was good, but the furniture that was being stored was not). So ventilation is a must.

If you can, think about what size brews you want to do, i.e. 1 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal, 10 gal, etc... If you want to do BIAB, then double the biggest size you want to do... such as 5 gal, you will want at 10 gal Kettle ( i do 5.5 in the fermented and 10 Gal does work for me doing batches of 4-6% ABV). Where do you plan on brewing, i.e. indoors, outdoors. Electric, gas. The saying of Buy once Cry once speaks for itself, so if you can plan ahead.

I have done small batches (1 gal) inside the house with out the use of a vent system, using a 5 gal kettle with a paint strainer bag.

If you have an exhaust fan in your kitchen it may be enough to vent the steam. I brew 5 gallon batches in my kitchen in winter using a ceiling fan for exhaust. I also use a standing fan to spread the humidity to the rest of the house. The air is very dry here in the winter, is it's not a big problem. If you are in a warmer more humid climate, it may get too steamy.

@mtlangst I've never had an issue with condensation being problematic. I brew in my kitchen next to the sink so I have say water access. I do usually keep the ceiling fan turned on, but don't think that's necessary. Mostly I do it to stay cool. I do 5.5 gallon batches right now, and have a 1 gallon boil off rate. Depending on your elevation your boil of rate may be less. Allot of people only have a.5 gallon boil off.

...If you want to do BIAB, then double the biggest size you want to do... such as 5 gal, you will want at 10 gal Kettle...

I use a 15gal kettle for 5gal batches, and really like it. I have plenty of space for doing big beers or larger batches, without the need to hold back water for a sparge step. But I think the biggest benefit is that I've never had to worry about a boil over.

Normally I will turn down the heat when I reach boiling, to a gentle boil, and do this before adding the first hop charge. Once I forgot to lower the heat before I put the hops in, and they foamed up like crazy (photo below). The 15gal kettle contained it, but with a 10gal I would have had a mess to clean up.

IMG_20190324_154054_773.jpg

Latest posts

Back