Kegs, Growlers and how much to bring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicXJ

Reaction score
So earlier this year I got into kegging. I built a four tap kegerator out of an old fridge and love it. I recently brought some 1/2 gallon growlers for bringing homebrew to parties and out to friends house. So this weekend I brought 3 1/2 gallon growlers to a party and actaully ended up bringing some beer home. By the next day the beer was flat and had to be thrown out. Most of the people there were BMC drinkers.

So for you guys that keg, and just bring growlers to parties and such... how much do you bring? I hate throwing beer out but I don't want all my homebrew gone in 30 minutes.

make yourself a homemade beer gun (search for thread: we don't need no stinking beer gun). it'll help bottles filled from kegs hold better carbonation IF they are sealing well (growlers sometimes don't seal tight enough)

depends on who will be at the party. It should be good for ~24 hours in a growler. Next time drink it all:)
I took 3 gallons to a "party" this summer and it was all gone a in a few hours. Granted the party was a music festival and whoever wanted some was welcome to it. And it was a black Pepper Wit, so it was great for outdoor summer time.

it really depends on the crowd/group that is at the party. for a homebrew crowd i generally bring a growler for every 6 people since they are basically a 6pack and this allows everyone a chance at a sample and still gives me some to drink. for a more bmc type crew go with closer to a 1/10 ratio since they wont even try it or will only take a very small sample.

If I know the party isn't going to be full of homebrewers, I'll bring a liter of my most transitional /BMC crossover beers if I have any. That would be blonde, pale ale, wit, or pils. Don't go bringing IPA or Russian Imperial Stout to the family reunion. I basically bring the most beer that I would be willing to drink myself because 9 times outta 10, that's exactly who drinks it.

If it isn't a homebrew club meeting, I do not take any homebrew. Even around here, most people don't drink beer and most of those who do, don't drink craft beer.

I have came from the "dark side" of only drinking natural light.
Once you start drinking a real craft beer, To me its all i want to drink.

Freinds have called me up, Hey lets go out to the bar and have a drink... Nope dont
drink piss water anymore.

If my freinds come over, They will have maybe a glass or two but i know they have bmc in there rig.

Sadly enough, Around here if the beer has flavor its not good... And no IPA is not my favorite beer..I am not that mean to convert a bmc guy to a ipa first drink

Back