Kegs causing gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennasbiotch

Reaction score
I have had my keg reactor less than a year and it seems that every time I drink beer from it I get real bad gas. It gets bad enough that my stomach hurts sometimes. I have only had home brewed beer from it and I don't know why this is happening. Any ideas? Thanks!

Usually excess gassiness from homebrew is due to excessive yeast in the final product (in my experience).

How clear is your beer going into the keg? How long from brewing do you keg the beer? Are you doing anything to prevent trub and whatnot from getting into the keg?

Beer is clear but I don't really worry a whole lot if it's not because it's just me and buddies drinking it anyway. Do I need to be more sure of FG readings before kegging? I usually keg the lighter and lower ABV beers around 2 weeks from start date. The others I wait until there is no activity for 3 days but I don't do more than 1 hydrometer reading and that is at kegging.

Beer is clear but I don't really worry a whole lot if it's not because it's just me and buddies drinking it anyway. Do I need to be more sure of FG readings before kegging? I usually keg the lighter and lower ABV beers around 2 weeks from start date. The others I wait until there is no activity for 3 days but I don't do more than 1 hydrometer reading and that is at kegging.

do you cold crash ? that will drop the yeast out of your beer

S_M

I did that recently with a koelsch and it seemed to work well. Actually I did the secondary fermentation at around 55° and then kegged it. I will try Cold crashing with my other beers too! Thanks for the input!

This is kind of off subject but I had a buddy ask me if the snap top or growler type bottles and caps work well. Any experiences on those?

amberbottle16.jpg

You mean the swing-top/grolsch style bottles?

Sure they work fine. They are considerably more expensive than standard bottles, but at least you don't have to muck around with caps and a capper. Just be sure to take care not to damage the little gasket.

I will say, that like 10 years ago when I first got into homebrewing I would get "campfire farts" the next day and it lasted about 6 months until my body got used to it. Or my process got a lot better, its been awhile :confused:

Do you get the same reaction to a bottle conditioned commercial beer? Pick up a bottle of Sierra Nevada, shake it up a little, drink it, and see how it effects you. Maybe you're sensitive to yeast. You could try filtering to remove the yeast.

Do you get the same reaction to a bottle conditioned commercial beer? Pick up a bottle of Sierra Nevada, shake it up a little, drink it, and see how it effects you. Maybe you're sensitive to yeast. You could try filtering to remove the yeast.

What size filter would that have to be to get it filtered?

What size filter would that have to be to get it filtered?

I used to use a plate filter to filter all my beers. It worked well in terms of clearing the beer, but was kind of a PITA to use. Eventually I found I could get just as good results with a combination of good brewing practices, cold crashing, gelatin finings, and a couple weeks of cold aging/lagering, so I stopped bothering with it.

Most of the time I would just run the "coarse" filter (2-7 micron) and that seemed to be enough to get very brite beer. A few times I would run it through again with a "medium" filter (1-4 micron). I couldn't imagine needing to go finer than that, but there are also "fine" filters and "sterile" filters that will strip out even more (possibly stripping out some flavor at that point).

I just started using starsan when I got my kegerator so that may be a thought. I've got a few ideas to try now so thank you all!

Starsan is a sanitizer that a lot of people use and is supposed to be one of the best for home brewing. However it is a chemical. I wish I had a all natural sanitizer to use.

I'm not saying starsan is at fault as a fact. I'm guessing. However, do you think the other agents other than acid, like a foaming agent, are at fault?

Back