keggle - cutting WHOLE top off ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm converting a 15.5g Sanke, and plan on BIAB. I've seen recommendations to not just cut a 11.5" diameter hole, but to cut the whole top off to make bag removal easier.

What does cutting the whole top off mean? Cutting the whole interior domed section out, leaving the handles, or cutting both dome and handles?

I would definately NOT cut the handles off. Like wise, I would not cut too close to where the dome is welded to the handles. You want this thing remain stable. You cut too close to the welds and your going to hurt yourself lifting it one day full of wort.

I can see how BIAB may be easier with a bigger diameter at the top. As you lift the bag the wort soaked grains are going to pancake out and make it troublesome to pull the bag up. I think a simpler fix is use a smaller bag and keep the hole 10-12". Cut it to fit a pot lid. You'll have more usability out of it if you switch to all-grain.

I don't know the answer. But I'll say this; removing the bag will be a pain if there is a narrow spot, but personally I'd like to leave the handles. If you can cut the dome, and leave little or no lip, then do that.

I'm about to do the same. Planning on the 11.5" hole but i'm interested to hear from somebody that has done this before and their experience/recommendations for hole size. Especially for BIAB purposes.:mug:

I'm doing nothing but all-grain. I've seen that Wilserbrewer will make bags for whatever size hole, although I recall him recommending to cut the whole top off, which is where I am coming from. I'd certainly prefer to leave the handles. Just looking for clarification - I'm new to keggle brewing, and BIAB in general. I've been bucket all-grain brewing for years though.

This is my keggle.
11223772_10204837121984150_876857481545494992_o.jpg

I dont have a good photo of my lid but its a crab pot lid. The hole is cut perfectly to fit this lid.
11894559_10204835697388536_6822189833638841144_o.jpg

When I was using a keggle before upgrading to a 20 gallon SS Brewtech kettle, I had the whole dome cut off. There was no lip left @CudaJoe, but the handles were left in place. The wort chiller I had would not fit with any lip left from the dome. It is a 50 foot 1/2 inch copper chiller from NorCal. What I did for a lid was cut out about 4-5 layers of the reflux insulation material to hold in the heat when mashing and used the rest in wrap the keggle.

If I can find pictures, I will update this post.

When I was using a keggle before upgrading to a 20 gallon SS Brewtech kettle, I had the whole dome cut off. There was no lip left @CudaJoe, but the handles were left in place. The wort chiller I had would not fit with any lip left from the dome. It is a 50 foot 1/2 inch copper chiller from NorCal. What I did for a lid was cut out about 4-5 layers of the reflux insulation material to hold in the heat when mashing and used the rest in wrap the keggle.

View attachment 411579
View attachment 411580
View attachment 411581

Last edited:

View attachment 411579
View attachment 411580
View attachment 411581

How did you do that total removal?

How did you do that total removal?

Plasma cutter. :D

If you know someone who works on heavy machinery or diesel trucks/equipment, they may have access to a plasma cutter. Offer a 6-pack of home brews in return for cutting the dome off. You never know if you don't ask. ;)

Plasma cutter. :D

If you know someone who works on heavy machinery or diesel trucks/equipment, they may have access to a plasma cutter. Offer a 6-pack of home brews in return for cutting the dome off. You never know if you don't ask. ;)

I have a couple of guys in mind.... Thanks for the info.

Now, to decide whether to leave a lip for a lid or not....

Latest posts

Back