Keggle coupling location/position...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've now cut both holes in my two kegs in preparation for my friend to tig weld the couplings in. In playing around with the fittings the thought occured to me that I may need to mark the correct rotational position of the couplings to ensure that the bulkhead and site/tube thermo attachment are pointed in the upright position once they are tightened down into the coupling. Is that right? Otherwise if the couplings are welded in whatever which way, my fittings will be tight but be in a sideways position. And what would I do then if I cannot further tighten it? Loosen it then but that may cause it to then leak because it's not tight enough. I hope this question makes sense.

Has anyone ever encountered this? Is this something I should indeed consider when getting these couplings welded in?

Thanks

there is no need. If your valve or sight glass ends up upside down, remove and double the amount of teflon tape, then it will stop earlier.

You are over thinking this. when you put the Teflon tape on just do about 3 wraps and you will be able to get it to seal and line up. If this was as big of a problem as you think tapered pipe thread would not work in any application. Plus you will have just about zero pressure in your system.

Ah yes, teflon tape. I do tend to overthink things especially in permanent procedures. I just didn't want to end up in that special place where you want to take yourself out back and slam your own face into the concrete stoop because you completely screwed something up.

Thanks!

Back