Keggle construction and ensuing brain fart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST_BREW_IT

Reaction score
Ok, keep the laughter to a minimum fellas :D

I converted my first keg into a keggle over the weekend. I brewed with it on sunday and came to find that I have installed the thermometer entirely too high. It's not really just a little too high. It is just way, way, way too high. I'm not sure what I was thinking or if I was thinking at all (perhaps I should consider pouring the first home brews AFTER the general use of power tools).

Anyways, I'm looking to plug this misplaced hole and install the thermometer a bit lower (when I say a bit I really mean substantially).

My question is this. Can I find appropriate food grade quality seals and bulkhead/plug combinations at a local hardware or big box store or am I destined to place another order to bargain fittings to fix my temporary lapse of intelligence (aka stupidity)?

Thanks for the help fellas!

Yeah, you're probably going to have to go to bargainfittings or some other such place. Home Depot / Loew's isn't big on stocking stainless steel plumbing parts.

My keggles I picked up has a couple plugs. I am sure there are several ways to skin this cat.

smugshot_9143588-L.jpg

You can see the exterior plugs on the far right keggle.
photo%201-L.jpg

would I run into corrosion issues using copper?

Stainless 308 and copper...yes, you'd run into corrosion issues. But most hardware store plumbing fittings are brass, not copper. Brass and stainless steel aren't that close on the galvanic corrosion chart either, so you'd still have corrosion issues.

I bought these as is. They look to me like standard weldless couplers with a cap on the outside.

Yes everything inside is stainless.

You won't find a stainless hex plug at home depot. I'm sure most brewing hardware vendors stock them though.. hint hint.

So...a stainless hex plug plus a couple of stainless washers, a silicon washer and a locknut? That's all that would be needed?

So you'd put the hex plug and a stainless washer on the outside, and on the inside you'd have the silicon washer, then a stainless washer, then the locknut?

You won't find a stainless hex plug at home depot. I'm sure most brewing hardware vendors stock them though.. hint hint.

Lol I hear you Bobby but I'm trying to avoid paying as much for shipping as what I would be paying for the few couple of parts I would need.

Btw brother, I tried purchasing my entire chugger pump and cam lock system from your last month but you were out of pumps. Busy holiday season?

So...a stainless hex plug plus a couple of stainless washers, a silicon washer and a locknut? That's all that would be needed?

So you'd put the hex plug and a stainless washer on the outside, and on the inside you'd have the silicon washer, then a stainless washer, then the locknut?

I'd very much like the hex part of the plug to have enough surface area to support the gasket directly, but I think I'd put the plug into the hole from outside then gasket and locknut inside. Basically you'd be duplicating how the thermometers are done but with a plug instead.

Back