Kegging stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDegga

Reaction score
So...This kegging thing is getting to be a lot of fun, but I really want to have a fair selection of 5-7 different brews with two on tap at any given time. The problem is that I don't have the setup to fit 7 kegs in a cooler, in fact only 2 fit currently. What are some guidlines to follow with regard to storing kegs outside a cooler? Can it be done again if it's been in the cooler? My basement is where I condition my beer, and it's about 65 degrees year round (+/-)...
Thanks a million !
-E

So...This kegging thing is getting to be a lot of fun, but I really want to have a fair selection of 5-7 different brews with two on tap at any given time. The problem is that I don't have the setup to fit 7 kegs in a cooler, in fact only 2 fit currently. What are some guidlines to follow with regard to storing kegs outside a cooler? Can it be done again if it's been in the cooler? My basement is where I condition my beer, and it's about 65 degrees year round (+/-)...
Thanks a million !
-E

Not a problem to pull them out for a while (some claim it actually improves the flavor!), but I would avoid doing it over and over. 65 degF is just about the perfect storage temp so you are set.

So, I can chill them and then store them in the basement for a bit longer as long as they have co2 pumped in? What pressure do you think is the best, and is tehre a general rule of thumb when the change between 'hey that's a nicely conditioned beer' to 'damn.'?

Thanks again!

Going from chill to storage shouldn't have an impact as long as you keep them gassed. for average ABV I find a big difference between week 3 and 6-8 of conditioning. For big beers 9-12% I would not even think of touching before 6 months and would rather wait 12-16 months.

A related question: what about storing at higher temps? Down here in Texas I don't have a basement and the garage gets scorching in the summer. Will properly kegged beer hold up at higher than 68* (around 75-82*) or even higher?

Looking to start kegging, but the temp control worries me.

Back