Kegging problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno81

Reaction score
My regulator has sprung a leak! :( two tanks 1 keg boo I have tightened every fitting used Teflon tape on the joints and I have been paranoid about loosing co2 so now I'm leaving the tank off ( when I do the keg has a pressure , and a few hours later it has non) no fun spending 40 bucks on co2

you may not need the teflon tape - it depends on the fitting style.

Water uses threads to tighten and seal, but often GAS uses a flare - the nut tightens the flare shapes together.

when the flare shape and the nut are one piece - tape can help. BUT if it is two pieces - the nut is 'loose' on the connector, the nut doesn't cause the seal, it brings the two mating joints together tightly. Teflon tape on a 2-piece flare is not good. Same with compression nuts and ferrells. No tape.

My regulator has sprung a leak! :( two tanks 1 keg boo I have tightened every fitting used Teflon tape on the joints and I have been paranoid about loosing co2 so now I'm leaving the tank off ( when I do the keg has a pressure , and a few hours later it has non) no fun spending 40 bucks on co2

Based on this, I would say it's your keg, not your regulator. Make sure to tighten down the posts, check the pressure vent on top (if that style), make sure all your o-rings are in good shape.

I had one keg that refused to seal up well. It would slow bleed and once I finally figured what was going on, new o-rings solved the problem. I haven't purchased co2 in 5 months.

I found the leak I used about a half bottle of dawn and finally found it. It was the shut off valve on the bottom of the regulator ( where the hose connects ) it was loose so I tightened it up and whalla no more air bubbles. But then I noticed that I have to change the valve because if I push on it it leaks from the lever

Glad you were able to find it. That can be really frustrating. I was running through CO2 like nobody's business when I had that keg with a slow bleed.

Back