Kegging Carbonization methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroe

Reaction score
To date I have been just using the priming sugar in the kits to carbinate my beer. It's been working fine until............ I've been doing light lagers. After fermenataion, usually I leave them set for an additional two weeks. I guess I pushed one brew a little to soon, added the priming sugar, left it set in room temperature. In fact I just keep them in room temp until I'm ready to tap one and chill it. Maybe I should be only letting them set in room temp for a week, then store in fridge. Anyway, I had one keg expand and almnost pop. I usually leave 3/4" head space. I've been reading how much better forced carbination is. So what are the proper steps in doing this? Am I to just keg my beer, with out the priming sugar. Then force carbinate with my tap and co2. Is it okay to store the beer flat? Should it be in fridge or room temp? I forced carbinated one. I just put it in my tap raised the PSI to about 20-30 and waited another few days? Seemed to work okay. I downloaded the excel file on temperature/psig for the type of beer. Or would it be better to carbinate them then store. Not sure how to do that in a mini-keg. What are you all doing?

Back