Kegerator/Keezer Thermostat Setting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

df_2112

Reaction score
After having two CL specials die on me in the last three years I figure it is not worth the hassle and cost of disposing of 'discount' equipment and picked up a Kenmore 8.8 cu.ft. freezer during the sale last weekend.

I have one question for those with a keezer setup. What temperature setting do you run the thermostat at?

I have read mostly that the coldest setting is best but I have also read that cutting the compressor (with a temp controller) at full bore can lock it up. I am wondering if that is what happened to me with these last two. I want to avoid killing this one.

I have always read that you want it at the coldest setting. I have the Kenmore 8.8 freezer and I've been running it that way for two months so far with no issues.

What believe to be harmful to the compressor is if you have the temperature range to narrow on the controller, the unit will cycle too often.

Just to clarify, you are suggesting running the freezer at the coldest setting and managing the temp with the external thermostat, right?

Just to clarify, you are suggesting running the freezer at the coldest setting and managing the temp with the external thermostat, right?

Yes, using a Ranco controller. I believe it is set to 5 degree range but I have to double check that. I do not have the thermo probe in a bag or anything to buffer the readings...maybe they were cycling more than they needed to.

I use the Johnson Controls A19, but I assume the principle is the same. I'm still not sure why it's easier on the compressor to have the freezer temp set to 'max cold' though. Does anyone know why that is?

I'm runner a keezer as a kegerator/carbonator/bright beer tank as well. My temp is going to stay at or around 42F all the time. Does it matter what my thermostat is set at on the freezer unit?

I seem to think that the freezer is either on or off (i.e., the freezer's thermostat doesn't change the "freezing power" of the unit, it just tells the unit that a temperature has been reached and switches the compressor on/off.) Thus, I keep mine turned all the way down to the lowest setting. That way, there is no chance of my Love controller (Ranco, etc.) telling the freezer to turn on, but its internal thermostat telling it to stay off by being set too high.

As noted above, the most important thing is to make sure the freezer does not cycle on/off too rapidly, which can stress/break the compressor. The Love/Ranco/etc. controller needs to be set to have a range of a few degrees, or a timer that tells it not to cycle on until it has been off for a certain length of time (the one on my lagering unit is set for 5 minutes, e.g.); and, some insulation to keep the cold air in to prevent rapid temperature changes doesn't hurt either...

Back