Kegerator Issue - Frozen Kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exe

Reaction score
I built a kegerator about 3 months ago from a minifridge purchased at lowes. The unit has a simple dial thermostat, with settings from 1 to 6. Set to 5.8, the beer is at 40 degrees. Set to 6? Froze 2 kegs so far that way. From reading around, it seems the answer is a temperature controller. I was hoping someone would have a cheap and easy suggestion on a temperature controller solution, since my 1-6 dial is simply failing me.

How cheap are you looking to go? most controllers can be purchased from $69-$89 on average. williams has one for $59. I can't vouche for quality on them just saying they are out there cheap.

Check the DIY ebay aquarium temp controller. Works well on my Kegerator. Why do you need the beer colder that 40˚? I serve at 42˚ which is pretty darn cold for me. If you really want cold beer, serve it in frosted glasses so it doesn't warm up after it leaves the faucet.

Fair point on the serving temperature, for sure. I think I am just freaked out about freezing the kegs - the difference between 30˚ and 40˚ on the dial seems to be about a quarter inch. I think i'd just like to have a bit more control over it.

Now that I think about it, I actually had the same problem with my kegerator when I first got it. But mine didn't even have numbers..just a screw you turned left and right with a screwdriver.

This is what I was talking about. I essentially copied what he did, and it works out great. You can also do the same thing with a regular thermostat (dial or digital) and a relay. Both ways you need to wire it up to an outlet.

Back