Kegerator Insulation Help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryMike

Reaction score
So I purchased a well-used, commercial bev-air kegerator. I replaced the evaporator fan and added a Ranco temp controller. The box cools quickly but warms up too fast, causing the compressor to run much more than I would prefer.

I'm not finding any holes that are venting cold air. Should I consider further insulating the inside of the box? I'm thinking about cutting some foam board and applying it to the top and sides of the inside cabinet.

Am I crazy? Any other ideas?

Thanks

You might look at removing the insert and packing more fiberglass insulation between it and the outside case. I don't know how hard that would be to do with that particular unit, but my Dad did that once to a freezer. He packed the insulation in with a dowel rod. I don't know how he got inside it, I was very young. My dad died a few years ago and we sold the freezer, it was still good. We attribute the fact that it was still running after more than 40 years to the insulation. The compressor hardly ever ran after he did that.

Back