Kegco Kegerator - can I drill a new tap hole on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the following kegerator. I'm installing under a counter with a different tap and drip tray. Because of these latter things, I really want to move the tap back several inches.

So, anyone have thoughts on re-drilling the 3" hole in a different spot in this kegerator? I'm mounting the counter, so I only need another hole and not the threaded inserts.
1637436114548.png
1637437283596.png
1637437296100.png

I would just get a piece of flexible 3" aluminum or plastic piping, insulate it, and then use it to run the lines from the top of the kegerator to the tower. You should be able to run the cooling pipe though it without too much trouble, as well.

No chance of killing the kegerator and if you ever choose to move it you won't have any permanent modifications.

I would just get a piece of flexible 3" aluminum or plastic piping, insulate it, and then use it to run the lines from the top of the kegerator to the tower. You should be able to run the cooling pipe though it without too much trouble, as well.

No chance of killing the kegerator and if you ever choose to move it you won't have any permanent modifications.

The problem is that the tap has a 6" long hard shaft below it. I'd have to raise counter another 3 inches for that threaded shaft to clear the top of the kegerator. See pic. Shaft can't be cut... it's a flooded tap for glycol chilling.

1637462860448.png

can you space underneath the kegerator to bring it up really close to the table top?

Edit: sorry i misread the part about bringing it 3 inches back, not 3 inches higher

Here is the response from Kegco. It's pretty much what I expected. I think I'm going to gently cut a small hold in the top (probably with angle grinder) and probe through the insulation to look for copper tubes or wires. If I can verify it's clear up there, I'm going ahead with it anyway. 3" hole saw.

Hello Andrew,
Thank you for your email.
We would not recommend drilling into the unit as this would void the manufacturer's warranty, and may damage the unit itself. If you have any additional questions please let us know, and we will do our best to assist.

Best wishes,
Anna
Beverage Factory

Just to close the loop on this thread for future searchers, I didn't drill the hole. I ended up just matching the hole in the counter top with the hole in the top of the kegerator. Initially, I thought this would push the tap too far forward, especially with the drip tray / glass rinser. Glad I didn't drill, worked out fine.

1648675566935.png

Back