keg problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue_Atom87

Reaction score
So I decided to get a start on replacing the o-ring on the used ball lock kegs I bought so it would be ready to transfer when batch is done fermenting. First I was unable to get the liquid post off. I put a lock wrench on it and beat with a hammer and nothing. Finally got gas post off and the o ring on gas tube was rough. Replaced it and tightened it back down. Went to see if it would hold pressure and as soon as I pulled Gas lock off CO2 would leak out of the top where poppet valve is. All the pressure would leak out. Before fermenting I purged the air in fermenting keg at 30PSI. Again once gas lock removed air would leak out but eventually sealed probably around 5-10 PSI. I ordered set replacement posts in hopes that will help but when doing so I noticed they all had a different poppet valve than mine (below). Google search all came up with these as pin lock poppet. Any help would be appreciated as need to find something that will hold pressure in the next 4 days.

1600131224791.png

My fermenting keg has 7up on it (one that pressurized at 30 then leaked to around 5-10. The keg where I am unable to get the posts off say Pepsi. The keg that is leaking completely says firestone

So beyond the difference of pin lock and ball lock posts, each of these types has differences in the post to keg threads. There are different thread sizes for ball lock posts as an example. I prefer to use the correct poppet made for the specific post but one solution is a universal poppet. Generally these can be had cheaper. Having said that, some poppets appear similar but upon closer inspection are slightly different based on manufacturer. Since your keg was used we don't know whether it has original parts on it. Just so you are aware, pin lock kegs can be converted to ball lock kegs with the correct posts and poppets.

The main difference between pin lock and ball 5 gallon kegs (besides the posts) is that ball lock kegs are taller and skinnier, pin locks are shorter and wider. Since you have one labelled Pepsi, are all your kegs that size, in particular diameter?

Be sure to carefully mark which posts were where before taking multiple kegs apart! A little more information would be helpful on the writing stamped into the keg, sometimes it's not very visible if it's worn down or dirty. I have a 7up keg, I don't think it has much information on it but I can probably help with the thread sizes on it. The Firestone may say "Challenger VI" or something else on it. Pictures of the posts and writing would help.

I'm asking for all this because the previous owner(s) may have jammed on the wrong posts or put in the wrong poppets. I didn't originally know there were any real differences other than pin and ball locks and some people only think of these as "Corny" kegs. There are a couple of good articles explaining the differences I will post if someone doesn't get to it before me.

I was able to tighten the leaking ones down enough that they sealed. Not sure if over tightened them or not but atleast its sealing. I will measure the thread size and order replacement posts for all. If I do in fact have different sizes I will be sure to mark which ones go where.

Are there any brand posts or style of poppets that are better than others?

Are there any brand posts or style of poppets that are better than others?

For poppets, I'd recommend going with universal (the two piece kind). They are slightly trickier to seat when you are assembling the keg, but not too bad. I haven't had a universal poppet wear out/fail yet. Plus, you don't have to worry about getting them mixed up.

So I received new of posts in mail I ordered yesterday from Amazon. Went to install and the gas line screwed on perfectly. The beer line wouldnt go on. New post was too small. I installed the original but did change out the poppet to the universal kind. The old poppets were destroying the o-ring on the dip tube. Everything sealed up nicely.

One thing I do want to know is what size female MPT to Barb should I get for the gas side? Since I ferment in keg I want to attach this and small section of hose to a airlock. Right now I had to stretch piece of 3/18" hose over the thread and strap down with hose clamp. Hope when I remove this after fermenting and quickly install post it doesnt oxidize beer. I dont think it would as I will immediately purge keg and close transfer to serving keg.

One thing I do want to know is what size female MPT to Barb should I get for the gas side?

Are you talking about a fitting to connect to the threaded output of your quick disconnect? If so, it's not a pipe thread. It's (nominally) a 1/4" MFL. You're looking for a matching 1/4" FFL. Like this...
https://www.morebeer.com/products/flare-fitting-set-14-nut-barb.html
You can also get the same 1/4" connector with different sized barbs, depending on what size hose you want to connect.

ETA: Rereading your post, I think you're looking for something to go on the threads on the keg itself. That would depend on what keg you have.

Yeah want something go on keg. Input together airlock off QD with bent tube inside 3/8 beer line and the height was right up against lis of keezer. Would prefer barb coming straight off keg

this would be on a Pepsi Keg

Back