Keg growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyblue67

Reaction score
I have always bottled my beer and although I'd like to use corny's I haven't got enough space at home. However my local homebrew shop closed down before Christmas so I acquired various bits of kit as the stock was being sold off. Now I have 2 x 3.6lt kegs, a tap, mini CO2 regulator, corny disconnects and beer spear. Effectively this sort of set up but with two kegs, both of which have a screw on cap.
download (1).jpg

So my question is what is the best way of using these? I guess people usually fill growlers from corny kegs but I'll be looking at filling these at bottling time (and bottling the rest). Can I just fill both kegs, screw on the caps and leave them uncarbonated? I don't want to prime them because of the sediment, can I leave them and force carbonate when I'm ready to drink them?

I may certainly be wrong, but I didn't go the small route because, as I understood it, you can't force carbonate very well with such a setup. The CO2 is more for dispensing unless you are also planning on getting a CO2 tank as opposed to CO2 cartridges. In which case, what Tobor said...

Started Homebrewing in April/May...bought 3 of these thinking exactly what you are thinking. Fast forward and I now have a converted mini fridge, with cornies in it. Live in a 500 sq ft apt with wife and kid. My point is, they didn’t work. Had to go a different route. You can’t force carb these with just the disposable co2 cartridge(at least that was my experience)

I’ve bought a converted cap for it and i can transfer from my corny to mini kegs so i can bring small version to parties, etc. The conversion cap is actually on its way, so haven’t used it yet.

Hope this helps

You can’t force carb these with just the disposable co2 cartridge(at least that was my experience)
Hope this helps

Go to a local gas/air supplier and rent a 20 pound CO2 tank. Much cheaper than the disposable CO2 cartridges. Do purchase a decent quality regulator. Don't buy a CO2 tank. Why? These must be tested. If they fail a hole is punched in them. Gone is the tank. Rent the tank and simply return it for the next CO2 tank (similar to propane).

The 20 pound CO2 shown in the photo has lasted me a couple of years.
Keezer.jpg

I bought a few small tanks, curious what do they charge you to rent one?

Depends on your area. Roberts Oxygen is $$$. Go to an industrial air supplier. Everything comes from the same tank. CO2 industrial vs CO2 food grade comes from the same CO2 tank. However, food grade is tested to ensure purity meaning additional $$$. Your call, but I've used CO2 industrial over the years and have not had any problems and have saved $$$ over food grade. Same goes for oxygen.

The food grade vs industrial info is from more than 1 supplier (not related to each other).

Hope this helps.

Regarding renting vs buying. Just about any welding/gas store will just do an exchange provided you have a size they stock. “Buying” only means you own “a” tank, not a specific tank. This is how it works with all welding/industrial gas.

I only say just about any gas store because if I said every single one in the whole country then someone would find one that doesn’t operate that way but I’m pretty sure literally every one does.

There's no such thing as renting a CO2 tank, as far as I know. If you don't have a tank and go to a shop to get one, they'll charge you for the fill and tank. You own it, they aren't going to be expecting you to bring it back to them(you can if you want). Or you can take it somewhere else when it's empty and do your exchange there for a full tank just like with propane.

Your best bet is acquire(purchase) the absolute cheapest tank you can find and then swap it for a full one. I bought a 5 lb on craigslist and for my 10 lb I found Adventures in Homebrewing had the best price I could find($60). The thing was old and ugly as sin but what did I care I just immediately exchanged it. You should make sure the one you're buying is still certified or whatever it's called or you'll get charged extra $ for the exchange.

There's no such thing as renting a CO2 tank, as far as I know. If you don't have a tank and go to a shop to get one, they'll charge you for the fill and tank. You own it, they aren't going to be expecting you to bring it back to them(you can if you want). Or you can take it somewhere else when it's empty and do your exchange there for a full tank.

Your best bet is acquire(purchase) the absolute cheapest tank you can find and then swap it for a full one. I bought a 5 lb on craigslist and for my 10 lb I found Adventures in Homebrewing had the best price($60). The thing was old and ugly as sin but what did I care I just immediately exchanged it.
There is such a thing as renting tanks, local beverage grade supplier rents 20# tanks for $2 a month. They also sell them for a lot more.
I think it just depends on your area and your supplier.

Although i do agree to find a tank to buy if possible and fill from there, bigger the better being(for my location) filling a5# tank costs $ 22 while a20# tank cost like $26.

There is such a thing as renting tanks, local beverage grade supplier rents 20# tanks for $2 a month. They also sell them for a lot more.
I think it just depends on your area and your supplier.

Although i do agree to find a tank to buy if possible and fill from there, bigger the better being(for my location) filling a5# tank costs $ 22 while a20# tank cost like $26.

Good to know.

Yeah at the place I go it pretty much costs the same to fill my 5 lb as the 10 lb. Makes me really really not want to fill the 5 lb much. Would love to find a 20 at some point

Marketplace or Craigslist is wonderful for bigger tanks on the cheap a lot of times you can get them for even less if you buy a lot of equipment and sell off what you don't need / want and just keep the tank. Also good to keep in mind is expiration date of inspection on the tanks I believe they're only good for 5 years? If they are out of date no biggie you just have to pay extra at your supply house to do a hydro test to make sure they hold pressure to be filled maybe an additional $40 depending on your area for the testing.

I have a keg like that. It is the basic one I take to breweries when I want to fill it (2 growlers) to take home. I have the cartridge to take to parties and the corny cap adapter to hook up at my kegerator. I just started brewing but was not planning on using them as they are too small for the 5gal batches I plan to brew.

Back