Keg conversion question by a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiriusBock

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been extract brewing for a while but have a keg question to upgrade possibly to all grain. I can get a used 13.2 gallon keg from a local brewery for $10. Would that be big enough to convert to a liquor tank or mash tun to end up with a ten gallon batch? Ideally I would want a 15 gallon keg set but money is tight. Let me know!

If you can get a keg for $10 do it, use it as a stool if nothing else. Hot liquor would be great, IMHO a little small for 10 gal boil.

Thanks guys. Hopefully one of the other breweries have bigger ones to mod for mashing. Do you some homemade way of gravity racking like one of those Blichmann (I think)?

i found an example of the on HBT and built one of my own. it does require a welder to mount the hooks on the pole and some concrete in the ground (with a sleeve so that it is removable). it works great for moving all the hot liquior and sweet liquor around. i have 3 15.5 gal kegs....just make sure u have a strong enough metal pole and a strong enough base to support that much weight. im pretty sure water weights 8lbs/gal, so potentially 30*8=240lbs + the weight of the kegs and any grain you add

beer tree.jpg

Back