keg co2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
so I got my keg setup in the mail today and want to make sure I don't kill anyone with the co2 I have it hooked up and I put the o-ring between the regulator and the co2 tank. At first I could hear a little leak so I adjusted the o-ring and tightened it down hard with a wrench and I can't hear anything now, is there a way to check and see if I have co2 leaking anywhere?

take the o ring out you will waste your bottle all the new CO2 regulators have a rubber ring in them they provide that just in case you have an old regulator setup trust me i wasted a bottle like this.

if there is a little leak is my only danger draining the tank too quick? or blowing up my house. Sorry to sound dumb I just haven't dealt with co2 tanks much

Here is what I do;

1. Connect your reg to the bottle and tighten (gently) with a wrench.

2. Open the CO2 tank valve.

3. Spray alittle bit of a Starsan solution from a spray bottle and look for any bubbles.

4. Keep doing this until all of your connections are connected and the beer is flowing.

well I don't imagine a little co2 will suffocate me but after trying to force carbonate that baby and bleeding it to get the oxygen out I think I let a little co2 too out made me a little light headed, but I tightened all the connections and I'm sure I'm fine

so I checked again with some star san and water in a squirt bottle it seems like I have a very tiny leak at the disconnect with my co2 in on the keg. I have messed with it and I can get it to seal but if it gets twisted a little I can get a tiny leak. Am I doing something wrong with the disconnect? Do you really push hard on it for just get it on there

so I checked again with some star san and water in a squirt bottle it seems like I have a very tiny leak at the disconnect with my co2 in on the keg. I have messed with it and I can get it to seal but if it gets twisted a little I can get a tiny leak. Am I doing something wrong with the disconnect? Do you really push hard on it for just get it on there

it may be a problem with the o-ring seal on the gas-in post on the keg. Do they look like they are in good condition (by good condition, I mean if you were to cut through one of the o-rings and look straight at one of the cut ends, would it make a perfect circle)? Maybe try using some keg lube on all the seals?

I bought some "reconditioned" kegs where they said the seals were replaced... but they weren't. The lid o-ring and the post o-rings looked ok, but after disassembling the kegs, all the dip tube o-rings disintegrated into powder.

they look pretty good, I didn't put any of the lube on them though so I'll give that a try

The posts can get switched on used kegs. See if it fits better on the out post. If it does, move them. Check the O ring, use a little dab of keg lube.

well just an update I forced carbed because its my first batch on a keg and wanted to drink it. it is obviously still a little green and my first IPA, but man is it good, the best beer I have mad so far wish I could post a pic but I don't have the upgrade.

Correct me it i'm wrong but it seems harder to screw up an IPA the hops flavor is so dominate that other off flavors can't be as easily detected. (at least that is the way it seems to me, I've mad a red ale, a brown ale, a apricot wheat) they are all ok and the apricot wheat is pretty good, but I can notice little things I want to change) Maybe I just like IPA's better then the other beers I've made but it sure feels that way

Latest posts

Back