Keg Carbonation restart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyperspy

Reaction score
So I've got a Maiböck lager, I put it into a 5 gal corny keg waited 3 weeks then tapped it but it still needs more carbonation. Anyone know how to kick start it again...?

I'm assuming that you attempted natural carbing with priming sugar and not force carbing. If your batch isn't too sweet from the left over priming sugar, I would simply force carb it while still refrigerated at around 10-12 for about 4 to 5 days carefully agitating your keg then leave it alone. I have never been able to get priming sugar to "re-start" in a corney after initial refrigeration without skunking my beer. You don't say when you refrigerated it after kegging, but I'm assuming right away or relatively quickly after priming. If you did, next time condition your keg at fermenting temperature instead.
I no longer use priming sugar when kegging and always force carb now.

I am still a novice having only brewed 15 batches so far, so if there's something that can be done that I am unaware of, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Good luck.

Fortuneteller said:
I'm assuming that you attempted natural carbing with priming sugar and not force carbing. If your batch isn't too sweet from the left over priming sugar, I would simply force carb it while still refrigerated at around 10-12 for about 4 to 5 days carefully agitating your keg then leave it alone. I have never been able to get priming sugar to "re-start" in a corney after initial refrigeration without skunking my beer. You don't say when you refrigerated it after kegging, but I'm assuming right away or relatively quickly after priming. If you did, next time condition your keg at fermenting temperature instead.
I no longer use priming sugar when kegging and always force carb now.

I am still a novice having only brewed 15 batches so far, so if there's something that can be done that I am unaware of, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the input .... It definitely helped me save the brew ... Cheers!

Latest posts

Back