Keg Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slinn

Reaction score
Ok, fairly new to kegging and need a little help. My process for keggins is as follows; keg the beer after fermenting for approximately 3 weeks, CO2 at 30 pounds, stored at 65 degrees for about three weeks. Place in kegerator at 40 degrees, drop CO2 pressure to 9 pounds for between two and three weeks. After this process, here's my problem - when I dispense into my glass, I get a decent head that goes away fairly quickly, but the beer still tastes flat, and I get no carbonation bubbles in the beer. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, fairly new to kegging and need a little help. My process for keggins is as follows; keg the beer after fermenting for approximately 3 weeks, CO2 at 30 pounds, stored at 65 degrees for about three weeks. Place in kegerator at 40 degrees, drop CO2 pressure to 9 pounds for between two and three weeks. After this process, here's my problem - when I dispense into my glass, I get a decent head that goes away fairly quickly, but the beer still tastes flat, and I get no carbonation bubbles in the beer. What am I doing wrong?

Forgot to add - I am not using priming sugar for carbonation in the kegs.

my guess would be the dropping to 9psi for 3 weeks. the gas could be coming out of suspension again. re-force carb then drop your psi to serving pressure and try a glass then. also it could be your glass too. if its not "beer clean" head retention can be a problem.

I'm assuming your using the 30 psi to seal the gaskets, just a short burst? Take a look this. Nine lbs at 40 degrees won't be alot. I usually shoot for about 2.4 volumes on most beers, and set my regulator accordingly.

if you arent using priming sugar you don't really need to leave the keg 2-3 weeks at 65 (unless it's a big beer and you just want to give it more time to age). You could just prime during that time, or use the chart linked below and keep continuous pressure for 2-3 weeks at somewhere between 10-15 psi depending on the beer. I generally set and forget at around 12psi, but it depends on the beer.

you should also check for leaks. 9psi for 2-3 weeks should give you some carbonation, and might be appropriate for less carbonated beers like english-style beers.

Back