Keg carb method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsdale

Reaction score
I just threw my 5gal of IPA on the gas yesterday 37 degrees at 20psi. When I decide to back off the psi to serving pressure, do I just dial it down and start serving or do I need to purge the keg, then dial up to serving pressure?

How one gets a keg down from "burst carb" pressure to "chart pressure" (which hopefully is also "dispensing pressure") really doesn't matter, as long as it happens before the keg is tapped. Otherwise one ends up with "projectile beer", which is never a good thing ;)

That one caveat is a keg filled to within reach of the gas dip tube. In that case one should close the regulator shutoff valve first, then turn the pressure knob down to below "chart pressure", then pop the keg prv, then open the regulator shut-off valve, and finally dial up to chart pressure. This will keep beer from flowing up the gas line to the regulator whether there is a backflow-preventing check-valve inside the regulator shutoff valve or not...

Cheers!

Back