Keg 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditchbanker

Reaction score
Finally got my kegerator tonight! Mostly for hard cider use, but I'm sure an occasional beer will end up in the corny.

And I remembered the apple wine I'd started about a year and a half ago where I got carried away with the sugar and, if I remember correctly, am sitting around 13-14%. My record keeping wasn't what it should have been.

Anyhow, I sampled it a year ago and it still seemed pretty powerful, so I moved it to the back of the closet and, except topping up the airlock, forgot about it.

Now, with a couple kegs and nothing to immediately put in them (pitched yeast tonight to try to take care of that), I wondered if I could rack it into my new to me keg, carbonate and try to make it sort of an on tap fruit sparkling wine. Only issue is it's a 3 gallon carboy and I have standard sized kegs. Will that cause a problem?

nope. have at it. it'll use a little extra co2, but you already know that, so no problem at all. just make sure you bleed off the top oxygen when you keg

Back