Keezer temp probe placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Just looking to see where everyone attaches their temp probe and how often their keezer cycles on.

For me, I use a spare keg filled with water. The temp probe is taped to the side then insulated. I'm about to add a 3rd tap to my keezer and will need the spare keg for the third tap.

I use an Inkbird ITC308. Set temp is 35 with a 3 degree swing. At the present, I believe my keezer cycles on about every 2-3 hours. Never really timed it but it works pretty good.
Looking to use a jar or something else with the probe in the water instead of taped to the side.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

I just leave my probe dangling in the air inside the keezer. Never had an issue. Depending on ambient air temperature, it can cycle every hour or two in the summer to never in the winter. I keep it in the garage.

Good question. Some leave the probe dangling, and while this is a matter of personal choice, I believe you'll get better control from one of the other options:

**Use one of the kegs of beer to tape and insulate the probe. I would cover the probe with a neoprene beer coozie taped over the probe in direct contact with the keg. You are doing this now with a water keg, so a beer keg will work the same. I taped mine low on the keg so you'll have contact with fluid in the keg until close to empty. This method has a draw back in that you have to switch probe locations to another keg when that current keg kicks.

**I now use a 20 ounce empty soda bottle with a small hole drilled in the lid so the probe can pass through. I used a dab of silicone or any type of caulk to make a seal. I took some old freezer gel packs like used when yeast is shipped, let it thaw and filled the bottle with that gel. I'm sure water can work just as well, but the gel seemed to be a temperature buffer of sorts. Just sit the soda bottle in the corner of your keezer and all is well with the world...and you don't have to fool with moving locations.

Super idea with gel pack .. I tape mine to a gel pack with insulation on outside. Thanks for the great tip.

Good question. Some leave the probe dangling, and while this is a matter of personal choice, I believe you'll get better control from one of the other options:

**Use one of the kegs of beer to tape and insulate the probe. I would cover the probe with a neoprene beer coozie taped over the probe in direct contact with the keg. You are doing this now with a water keg, so a beer keg will work the same. I taped mine low on the keg so you'll have contact with fluid in the keg until close to empty. This method has a draw back in that you have to switch probe locations to another keg when that current keg kicks.

**I now use a 20 ounce empty soda bottle with a small hole drilled in the lid so the probe can pass through. I used a dab of silicone or any type of caulk to make a seal. I took some old freezer gel packs like used when yeast is shipped, let it thaw and filled the bottle with that gel. I'm sure water can work just as well, but the gel seemed to be a temperature buffer of sorts. Just sit the soda bottle in the corner of your keezer and all is well with the world...and you don't have to fool with moving locations.

Super idea with gel pack .. I tape mine to a gel pack with insulation on outside. Thanks for the great tip.

You are most welcome. The gel works well and it takes a few hours for the temps to stabilize and the probe (Inkbird in my case) to settle down. This is a good thing since we are trying to stabilize the swings and not over react to the changes in keezer temps. I find the gel is an ideal medium for this stabilization.

You could throw a couple gel packs in there now. When you need the keg, the gel packs will be stabilized. Sandwich the probe between two gel packs and tape or wrap in cling film. No chance of the bottle spilling.

So you just pour the gel in the bottle and set the probe inside? Do you fill the bottle completely? Never thought of that. I have several of the gel packs. I could give that a try and see how it works.
My keezer is inside so I don't have the huge ambient temp fluctuations if it were outside.

So you just pour the gel in the bottle and set the probe inside? Do you fill the bottle completely? Never thought of that. I have several of the gel packs. I could give that a try and see how it works.
My keezer is inside so I don't have the huge ambient temp fluctuations if it were outside.

Yes, that's about it. The gel is viscous so I use a funnel to get it in the bottle....fill to the top. Use a small drill bit to make a hole in the screw on top (lid) so the probe will go thru the hole and into the gel. Use a spot of silicone or putty of some sort to seal the hole in the lid around the probe's cord in case the bottle tips over and the gel tries to seep out.

I have it in a half gallon apple juice bottle filled with watter and a small hole drilled in the lid.

Here is my take on it. If you do not have any air movement I would use the above. If you have a fan that moves a reasonable amount of air (3-80mm fans in mine) I would leave it in air alone. I found less over shoot in temps and more consistent temps over time this way.

I have one fan at the moment but thinking about adding a 2nd placed on the floor facing up. The fan i have just doesn't move enough air for me.

I just use a soda bottle with water and the probe tapped to the outside. Will upgrade to a dollar store koozie

I have the temp probe taped to the side of a water filled mason jar. I also have a standalone thermometer that is taped to the lid of the keezer so I can keep tabs on temperature stratafication. I installed a 200mm computer fan on the lid and now my temps are pretty darn even.

I have a 120 mm fan (51CFM) mounted on my collar facing down. I do not find I get enough air circulation. Thinking about either replacing the one I have with a larger fan or adding a second fan. Undecided at the moment.

I'm going to try the 20 oz water bottle with the gel from the ice packs. We'll see how that works.

I just took a look and my fans are 92mm fans rated at 120cfm each, no I do not have any stagnant air. These are 12v fans but there are 120v fans with comparable air flow.

At work, in certain refrigerators we have thermometers whose temperature probes are sealed in a bottle of glycol. The bottles are small, like a 250ml cough syrup bottle. No need for additional insulation, the liquid serves that purpose. Glycol is used as it has a low freezing point and is relatively non-toxic.

Search temperature bottle probe. Don't waste money buying, you can make one cheap.

Here is my lid fan... Also have two fans to try and keep the taps cool-ish 20180711_214448.jpg 20180711_214453.jpg

Back