Keezer Tap gurgles initial pull

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemalaka

Reaction score
So I built a 4 tap keezer. Whenever I pull my tap handle to dispense beer, it starts to make a gurgling noise and the beer starts out foamy and then becomes okay. Wondering if this is normal? I have perlick flow control taps. My beer lines are 5’.

Foaming at first pour can be fairly normal if your faucets are considerably warmer that the beer. As the faucets cool from the cold beer, the foaming subsides.
Gurgling though...? I'd have to hear it but it makes me think that the beer line could be draining out somehow in between pours. Not sure how that would happen without you noticing though..

I suspect this comes from warm lines that cause CO2 to come out of solution and raise to the top of the line and collect at the tap. The gurgle is the liquid pushing out the gas bubble and start of flow through the tap.

So maybe I should adjust my InkbirdSmart settings? Right now I’ve got my probe zip tied to a can of beer. I have it set to 40 with 5 degree Range. My freezer kicks on roughly every 2-3 hours for 15-30mins. The temps are warming up over here in New Jersey. So I’ll have to keep any eye on it. It’s in my uninsulated basement right now, but I will be finishing it soon

So maybe I should adjust my InkbirdSmart settings? Right now I’ve got my probe zip tied to a can of beer. I have it set to 40 with 5 degree Range. My freezer kicks on roughly every 2-3 hours for 15-30mins. The temps are warming up over here in New Jersey. So I’ll have to keep any eye on it. It’s in my uninsulated basement right now, but I will be finishing it soon

I would think it is due to temperature stratification. You can drop the temperature, but this will only help a small amount. Your best solution is to drop a couple fans in there. When I had a keezer, I put in some old 5V computer chip fans that I wired up to an old DC transformer. Depending on your length of lines, you can also coil them at the bottom of the freezer rather than on top of the kegs.

Back