Keezer product list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I know lost of people are setting these up now and figured I would post what it has been costing me.

Chest freezer 9.2 cft: 125$ craigslist
4 used ball lock kegs 60$ (local friend)
10 lb co2 86$
double reg with double guage 99$..this was expensive but didn't want to go cheap in this area.
hose..4 disconects..2 cheap taps..extra parts..ect..(about 80$)
temp controller(free..gift)

what I still need:

SHanks(3) facuet(3)drip tray(1)

total so far about $450.00

I have a few friends that can get me shanks and faucets cheap as well. this is set up for 3 taps but will be able to go to 4 in the future. I would say for 450..and better than some of the cheap ones out there I am doing good so far.

Jay

discgolfin said:
I know lost of people are setting these up now and figured I would post what it has been costing me.

10 lb co2 86$
double reg with double guage 99$..this was expensive but didn't want to go cheap in this area.

what I still need:

I have a few friends that can get me shanks and faucets cheap as well. this is set up for 3 taps but will be able to go to 4 in the future. I would say for 450..and better than some of the cheap ones out there I am doing good so far.

Jay

Enjoying your own beer on tap, PRICELESS!

McKBrew said:
Enjoying your own beer on tap, PRICELESS!

Well to me for sure..but my wife will flip when she sees our credit card bills..Even if I tell her "honey I got such good deals on all of these items..I saved us hundreds.."

LOL it like a 40% off sale at the clothing store so they spend twice as much.

Jay

Yeah, I love those coupons that my wife gets for kids clothing. "I save 25% if I spend over 100 dollars." So if you never got the coupon, you wouldn't have spent anything.

Beischer said:
Jay, were the kegs in good shape? Seals replaced and clean? Just wondering before I take the drive myself. :mug:
thx
Dave

3 of the 4 seem very good..held the seal..one I might have to replace a few o rings..but I was planning on that any how. the outsides are not bad..but hey for 15$ a piece they just needed to be in ok shape..I would say they are above ok shape.

Jay

discgolfin said:

10 lb co2 86$

what I still need:

Jay

No cost on building a collar?

discgolfin said:
Well ..I have the wood and wood screws..so I guess yes..no cost:)

Jay

What size wood are you planning on using for the collar? I'm in the midst of converting a chest freezer too and am planning on using 2"x6"

srm775 said:
What size wood are you planning on using for the collar? I'm in the midst of converting a chest freezer too and am planning on using 2"x6"

2X6 as well..I inspected the cornys a bit closer...3 are fine 1 is a bit dented more than I thought..they all hold gas but plan on replacing all of the o rings..

Jay

A bit of an update..shanks in the mail..faucets soon..

Im going with 2 x 8 pine..I plan on staining this a nice cherry red. Has anyone else gone with 2 X 8? I have seen most people use 2 X 6..but if I use 2 X 8 i can fit another two full cornys on my hump and put my co2 outside the fridge..

I will have pics to follow once I get the collar..I plan on using silicone as most have found successful..I would love to just use liquid nails but if I ever want to go back Im stuck becasue that stuff is too good..

Jay

Bobby_M said:
I personally think 2x material is a little much for what it's doing. 1x which is really 3/4" thick is just fine. I used 1 x 3 poplar. Nice stable, workable, cheap wood.

Well I was actually not as concerned with the 2X but the 8X..I was trying to raise the lid more than usually becasue my hump is taller. this will lift it about 7.25 off of the base. I see most use 2 X 6 which is about 5.5 I believe..correct me if Im wrong. ..

Jay

Also, you know Jewel had Igloo (Magic Chef) Freezers for $150 with $150 worth of coupons for free frozen goods, right?

This was 2 weeks ago.

Bobby_M said:
I personally think 2x material is a little much for what it's doing. 1x which is really 3/4" thick is just fine. I used 1 x 3 poplar. Nice stable, workable, cheap wood.

But, what about the insulative properties of 2x material vs. 1x material. I mean, the wood itself isn't the greatest insulative material, is the inside then insulated with foam board? Plus, if you're attaching the collar to the freezer then the extra weight is nice. Whereas you attached your collar to you lid, correct?

On a seperate note, what does everyone keep their keezer at? I've set mine for 33 with a 9° variance. I've noticed that it still cycles on more than I would have thought. I think it raises a 1°F every couple of minutes.

Im sure 2X will be more insulating..but I just wanted to raise the lid 7 in above so I could put cornys on my hump...This will allow me to fit 6 kegs..4 on tap and 2 conditioning. I have the wood and will cut later this week and build.

jay

Back