Keezer issues....is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, well now that seems even more strange. Why would beer lines freeze at 40F?

Trying to analyze a past conversation b/w the OP and the seller of the keezer seems kinda pointless to me. Who knows why he suggested not turning it too low....maybe he froze the beer lines back when it was running properly using the analog controller. Who knows???

It's a shame, I'm sorry for your misfortune but I really think the freezer is toast. I wouldn't even suggest using it for fermentation as it would likely be inefficient.

IMO it is not unlikely for it to malfunction after a move if it was on its last legs.

I agree, didn't intend this to be a court hearing for the seller. Just came looking for some diagnostic advice on my freezer so thanks all for the info. Probably going to buy a new one.

Trying to analyze a past conversation b/w the OP and the seller of the keezer seems kinda pointless to me. Who knows why he suggested not turning it too low....maybe he froze the beer lines back when it was running properly using the analog controller. Who knows???

Totally valid, no knowing what was done in the past, just stuck out as a bit odd to me.

It's a shame, I'm sorry for your misfortune but I really think the freezer is toast. I wouldn't even suggest using it for fermentation as it would likely be inefficient.

Also a good point. From the description sounds like it was running far more than it needed to, so likely would be very inefficient and run up the power bill.

IMO it is not unlikely for it to malfunction after a move if it was on its last legs.

Very true. I've seen lots of the "this thing worked fine until I moved it" sorts of conversations around appliances.

Might be worth a shot as a fermentation chamber, put a carboy of $5 water in there and in 8 hours see how far it can move it going full out.

I mean once your beer is at its set point, a functioning freezer barely ever even turns on...his will just have to run more.

At this point i say run it into the ground as a fermentation chamber if you can to get some use out of it before you have to pay money to take it to the dump.

Well I got home from work this afternoon and checked up on it. It was running still but it was down at 34F from the 40's it was it this morning before I unplugged it from the temperature control. Seems it does get cooler but it was probably running non stop with the lid closed to get there.

Seems it does get cooler but it was probably running non stop with the lid closed to get there.

Yea, that's a shame :(

Even if it gets cold enough....the running non stop would put you in the poor house. Much cheaper long term to buy a new one, than feed one power constantly.

I wonder if there would be other uses for the freezer, even if it doesn't get plugged in. I'm one that is all for reusing stuff or finding alternative uses until it falls apart.

Bought a replacement Magic Chef chest freezer today at Home Depot. Can't wait to have my kegerator up and running normal!

Hopefully the collar doesn't need much modification if any, the measurements were very similar on the replacement.

Latest posts

Back