Keezer done?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
My keezer is set at 32. It won't get below 40. Currently sitting 45. Yes it is in a hot shop, but is it on its last breath? Advice? Thoughts? Condolences? Cheers.

Condolences..

In all seriousness though, You could need to recharge it, I'm not sure how to do that, but there is probably info online. I have had to replace the start(run) motor capacitor. There is info online as to how to test with a multi-meter. I found a new capacitor for my bev-aire beer fridge at grainger cheaper than anywhere else.

If the compressor is gone or it is leaking coolant quickly it may be cheaper to replace(if you can find one). Did you build so it would be easy enough to swap in a new one?

I just built it with no future thoughts in mind. Slapped a collar on it, painted it white and added 8 taps. I have ideas if I were to do it again, but hoping I don't have to.

Just to clarify: you just built it, and it won’t get cold, or it’s been running for a while and now it won’t get cold?

Assuming the former for now. Are you worried about its operation, or do you want colder beer? If it’s just a badly insulated keezer, lazy me would just let it run full out and if that means it dies a little earlier, so be it. If you want colder beer you’re going to have to add insulation or caulk up leaks. No two ways about it.

I built it 3-4 years ago. The freezer was bought used. It's worked great for years. Ideally I would like the beer at 38-40. I set it to 32 when I saw it not getting down below 40. Hoping that would help it get there. Now that I think about it, probably just over working it more.

Update.

I cleaned and blew out around the compressor. Took all kegs out and cleaned the inside. Plugged it in yesterday around 10am. It was near 100 for most of the day yesterday. This morning the freezer is at 34 degrees. I have it plugged in to a normal outlet not temp controlled. Trying to see if it will freeze. So its working, but struggling.

Time to be looking for another freezer.
If it had food in it, as you know, the food would need to be a good bit colder than that.
Thats what I am thinking. Tough to face. Although I think I can use it as a fermentation chamber going forward.

Thats what I am thinking. Tough to face. Although I think I can use it as a fermentation chamber going forward.

Sounds like a plan, although it might be on its way out and might not last long in that task either.
It would be smart to keep a close eye on it while fermenting, if like you say it got up to 100 degrees, it could be bad news for a batch of beer if it were anything other than a saison, kveik or a few Belgian yeasts.

My first keezer worked fine in my office where it sat for a couple of years.
I bought a kegerator and simply moved it basically across the driveway to the garage to be a freezer again, no real bumps or jolts, and it died on me.

Back