Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjbanks

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my keezer build and have a questin regarding the inner collar. After measuring the outside of the top of the freezer I cut the wood and connected with 90 degree brackets. However, I noticed that after its screwed together it is slightly inside the top lip of the freezer in some spots? Do you guys think I should unscrew and redo? I am putting an outer oak collar attached to the inner with bolts going through both. I am also planning to miter the corners of the outer collar.

My concern is that the outer collar will project outwards at the bottom slightly because the inner collar isn't completely flush In all spots with the top of the freezer. Therefore, my miter joints won't be smooth towards the bottom of the outer collar. Do I redo the inner? Thanks!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427821460.268497.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427821477.229229.jpg

I am no woodworker, but I think if you attach the oak, it is going to be flush with the side board ends which look good from what I can see. You may be able to loosen the inside brackets (on the front board), bolt up the oak, than tighten the brackets up again. I hope this helps. Good Luck with the build. Mine starts this week.

That looks fine to me. trim carpentry is all about figuring out how to make it work. I would say as long as your corner framing lumber is not sticking past the freezer you should be able to make it work. If you think it's an issue I would just shim the trim on the outside of that framing board, not try and move the board. You'd have to patch the screw holes if you tried to do that, the new holes likely wont be far enough from the old ones.

I am no woodworker, but I think if you attach the oak, it is going to be flush with the side board ends which look good from what I can see. You may be able to loosen the inside brackets (on the front board), bolt up the oak, than tighten the brackets up again. I hope this helps. Good Luck with the build. Mine starts this week.

The problem isnt the side board ends its the little black trim right below the side board ends. My outter collar oak piece is longer and will cover part of the top of the freezer so i think it will stick outwards slightly. Not sure if a miter cut on the corners will align with that unevenness.

The problem isnt the side board ends its the little black trim right below the side board ends. My outter collar oak piece is longer and will cover part of the top of the freezer so i think it will stick outwards slightly. Not sure if a miter cut on the corners will align with that unevenness.

OK now I see your issue. Sounds like you'll have to put a shim in on your collar, so it's at the same thickness as the trim piece on the freezer to get the miter to line up right.

I would get some cheap pine boards in the same size as your oak or some plywood scraps if you have any laying around and play around with it until you figure something out. that oak likely set you back a bit and I understand not wanting to mess it up.

Looking at it again, I see what you are talking about. I was only looking at the front board. Shimming between the front and side boards, as the other gentleman said, should work. Cutting a new one is also an option, but I would try to shim first. Good luck.

OK now I see your issue. Sounds like you'll have to put a shim in on your collar, so it's at the same thickness as the trim piece on the freezer to get the miter to line up right.

I would get some cheap pine boards in the same size as your oak or some plywood scraps if you have any laying around and play around with it until you figure something out. that oak likely set you back a bit and I understand not wanting to mess it up.

Yeah I guess I could try shim. I'm not the handiest person but o could give it a try. It's pretty small correction though. See....View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427840220.706001.jpg

It's hardly noticeable - the pine boards are likely not perfect - or even close - so they will have a little gap. The oak should cover and not be noticeable.

Then again, my collar is pressure treated 2*8 - so I didn't go for finesse...

It's hardly noticeable - the pine boards are likely not perfect - or even close - so they will have a little gap. The oak should cover and not be noticeable.

Then again, my collar is pressure treated 2*8 - so I didn't go for finesse...

Turns out I can't even make the miter cuts on the 1x10 oak because the blade isn't that wide....so I guess I'll have to make regular joints. In that case I should be fine as I'm bolting this to the inner collar.

Back