Keezer build looking for feedback on freezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jready

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum :(. Please see below I would love some feedback!

Hey everyone I am about to build a keezer and am looking at three chest freezers and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them to know how many kegs they could hold. I would love to have it be able to hold 6-8. Space is at a premium but here are the three I am considering. I checked the spec thread and these didn't seem to match any in there:

GE 10.6 ModelFCM11PHWW- this one I'm a bit concerned might not fit through my door I believe I have 30 inches to work with but it is on sale at HD for $298

Sears 8.8 Kenmore 12909- I like that this one is black also on sale $269

Frigidare 8.7 Model FFFC09M1RW on sale for $298

I figure I will build a 10 inch collar. I plan to use the freezer to also store the cold water for two FTSs cooling systems for Conicals. I have three taps purchased but would like to go up to four later. I figure 3-4 on tap with 3-4 on deck.

I agree with Double D. If you have the room go for the bigger one. You will not regret it in the end. You could easily get 6-8 kegs in there. I have the Frigidare and I can easily get get 5 in there with two 3 gallons on the hump and my CO2 tank on the outside.

Thanks I decided to go big! I'm pretty sure it'll fit and the extra space will give me room to grow into.

I'm in the exact same boat-comparing the 10.6 GE, and the Frigidaire 8.7.

Does anybody know if either of these will work with ball-lock kegs on the floor WITHOUT a collar? I just ordered a regulator/line kit with CO2 tank and 1x ball lock corny from keg connection with a basic cobra tap. Ultimately, I plan on building a collar at some point down the road, but I'd prefer not to have to do so immediately. I've already got a lot of projects going on, and there's a beer in one of my secondaries that'll be ready to package soon. There was another post that made it sound like the GE10.6 just barely closes on a ball lock with NO lines, and I can't find any data on interior dimensions for the Frigidaire.

Does anybody know if either of these will work with ball-lock kegs on the floor WITHOUT a collar? I just ordered a regulator/line kit with CO2 tank and 1x ball lock corny from keg connection with a basic cobra tap. Ultimately, I plan on building a collar at some point down the road, but I'd prefer not to have to do so immediately. I've already got a lot of projects going on, and there's a beer in one of my secondaries that'll be ready to package soon. There was another post that made it sound like the GE10.6 just barely closes on a ball lock with NO lines, and I can't find any data on interior dimensions for the Frigidaire.

Compare close models

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462731632.025691.jpg

I have that model of 10.6 GE (with a collar)

Pinlock will be fine without a collar - with lines connected and everything.

Now, for ball-Lock kegs it will be a much tighter fit. I want to say - without the lines connected, the lid will close, but with the lines - doubt it. The height from the floor to the bottom of lid when closed is about 25.5", so maybe your keg is different size. For the ones I have it won't work, unless you have lines that don't tend to go upward and have very short connects.

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

DSC08311.JPG

I have that model of 10.6 GE (with a collar)

Pinlock will be fine without a collar - with lines connected and everything.

Now, for ball-Lock kegs it will be a much tighter fit. I want to say - without the lines connected, the lid will close, but with the lines - doubt it. The height from the floor to the bottom of lid when closed is about 25.5", so maybe your keg is different size. For the ones I have it won't work, unless you have lines that don't tend to go upward and have very short connects.

That's kinda what I was dreading. My new keg hasn't arrived yet, but the website lists it as 25" tall.

My local Home Depot doesn't have anything in stock. I might have to check the lowes to see if they have the Frigidaire in stock so I can measure it out. Imma be pissed if I have to bottle my next batch because I can't get a freezer tall enough.

That's kinda what I was dreading. My new keg hasn't arrived yet, but the website lists it as 25" tall.

My local Home Depot doesn't have anything in stock. I might have to check the lowes to see if they have the Frigidaire in stock so I can measure it out. Imma be pissed if I have to bottle my next batch because I can't get a freezer tall enough.

I think decision between 8.8 and 10.6 cu ft is an important one that is very long term. I would seriously consider 10.6 (same price!) as it allows a LOT more room for expansion.

If you buy 10.6 (I would strongly recommend it) you still have a few short-term options:
1. Build a collar - it took me 1 night, basically 3 hours or so, to put the boards together (another hour or so of shopping in Home Depot) - and I used hacksaw instead of electric saw. Don't bother staining it, or even using facade/outer layer of hardwood (which is what I used) for now - just 4 cedar 2x6 boards, cut to size and connected with butt joints. Then re-mount the lid, and you are all set (and can finish decorative parts and sealing later). That should be 1.5 hours of work - mine took longer because I mounted hardwood and connected them using 3" bolts and then carefully sealed everything.

2. If collar is just not an option in short-term - You can still keg your beer and (assuming it does not fit after all):
a) carb it at room temperature (requires higher pressure)
b) carb it inside the freezer (do you have temperature controller by the way?) - but connect/disconnect hoses - so you will force-carb it in short bursts of CO2 at high pressure (it doesn't need to be continuous, just re-up the pressure as it drops - once or twice a day is fine.
c) tilt the keg (with gas inlet on top) and fit it that way
d) keep the lid slightly open but shove some foam or towels to keep heat from entering

You will also be able to serve it by opening the lid and connecting/disconnecting the serving line. Should work fine.

Any of these solutions are somewhat inconvenient, which will force you to build your collar sooner! but long-term you will have a larger freezer that can fit more kegs! Mine can fit 9.

Keep in mind that if you need those 2 extra inches, you can remove the plastic molding on the Inside of the lid that typically houses the light. You'll need to remove the weather stripping, unscrew whatever mounting screws (my mounting screws actually held the stripping in place, 2 with one stone) and then you decide if the wiring and light fixture need to go. You should be sitting pretty!

Yes, the Frigidaire model #FFFC09M1RW will fit with ball locks and no collar. I can easily get 5 on the floor and then tank on the hump. Ho[e this helps.

Awesome, thank you!

I've decided to go with the Frigidaire. A few reasons: it fits without modification, it will do fine for me at the moment (we've been wanting a chest freezer anyways, so if I decide to go bigger, this one can become our "chest freezer," and also, it's available in black. I hate that all the other models are only available in white or camo.

...(do you have temperature controller by the way)

I don't yet. I was going to order one on Amazon prime. Looks like a lot of people use the STC-1000 in their collar, which I like the look of. Will that work ok without the collar? Pictures on Amazon kind of look like it needs a housing. Is there a better option for a (for now) collarless keezer?

I don't yet. I was going to order one on Amazon prime. Looks like a lot of people use the STC-1000 in their collar, which I like the look of. Will that work ok without the collar? Pictures on Amazon kind of look like it needs a housing. Is there a better option for a (for now) collarless keezer?

I use the Inkbird for mine. Great little two stage (heat or cool) controller for the money. (link)

I have a Maytag 14cuft. I went with it because I wanted something bigger and like you my old keezer is now my "chest freezer". I liked the Maytag because the compressor hump only takes up a small corner and doesn't go all the way from front to back like with a lot of freezers.

Are you mounting the taps through a collar or are you going through the top with a Tee or coffin box? Either way you could make your own lid that way on down the line if you ever decided to sell it, the factory lid would be intact (no drilled holes etc). The custom lid should give you the clearance for your connected ball lock kegs. My kegs measure around 26.5" with the disconnects on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Inkbird for mine. Great little two stage (heat or cool) controller for the money. (link)

I have a Maytag 14cuft. I went with it because I wanted something bigger and like you my old keezer is now my "chest freezer". I liked the Maytag because the compressor hump only takes up a small corner and doesn't go all the way from front to back like with a lot of freezers.

Are you mounting the taps through a collar or are you going through the top with a Tee or coffin box? Either way you could make your own lid that way on down the line if you ever decided to sell it, the factory lid would be intact (no drilled holes etc). The custom lid should give you the clearance for your connected ball lock kegs. My kegs measure around 26.5" with the disconnects on.

Initially I'm just going to be using picnic taps. With the collar on it (when I get around to it), I'll run them through the collar. But that's actually another reason I'm going with the smaller Frigidaire...we have yet to finish our basement and I plan to put a bar/lounge down there. I haven't yet figured out if I'm going to do a through the wall setup with the taps, or if I'm going to do a coffin build, or some kind of bar top tower setup. The basement is a year or two off probably. Just ordered new bedroom furniture, and meeting with landscapers to approve their design this week. Living room furniture and new flooring is next up. The basement will come after that.

Like I said in an earlier post-too many projects at the moment (and too much $$$)

Last edited by a moderator:

STC-1000 is awesome. It will function just fine with or without a collar, and without housing - just looks weird (make sure nobody can touch those wires!).

If I were you, and I get it - you are not in a hurry to build a collar (even though it's super easy) - just connect/disconnect the hoses for CO2 and serving when you are done with serving or carving - takes just a second.
Keg is like a balloon. You don't need to keep inflating it unless it's leaking. Pressurize it once, then again when all extra CO2 gets dissolved in the beer. Since you are aiming for 2.5 volumes or so - you only need to do it a few times.

Hmmmmm...freezer being delivered Friday. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

Don't know why the picture is showing sideways. It displays correctly when I view it on the iphone I took it with.

image.jpg

Hmmmmm...freezer being delivered Friday. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

Don't know why the picture is showing sideways. It displays correctly when I view it on the iphone I took it with.

Worst case scenario, you could just build a collar. It doesn't have to be a tall collar either, so maybe something with some 1x3 or 2x2 lumber would suffice. All you're needing is something to raise the lid above the disconnects.

The post that mentioned the light, that's probably where the lowest measure mentioned in the description was taken as far as bottom of freezer to bottom of lid, so I think you'll be ok in the end.

GlenQuagmire, did you get your freezer yet? Just measured the inside on my Frigidaire and it measures 26", so you should be okay. I have ball locks with the CMB connectors and it fit just fine without the collar. I have since added a 6" collar, but for a a couple of months I just used it as is.

I have the GE 10.6. It was actually cheaper to buy from Lowe's with a 10% off coupon code and free delivery. It fit through a "normal" sized door. HD wouldn't let me ship to store and do in store pickup.

GlenQuagmire, did you get your freezer yet? Just measured the inside on my Frigidaire and it measures 26", so you should be okay. I have ball locks with the CMB connectors and it fit just fine without the collar. I have since added a 6" collar, but for a a couple of months I just used it as is.

I did. It has a secondary currently sitting in it, crash-cooling. I'll be putting that into a keg tomorrow. I went with that and the Inkbird controller.

I have the GE 10.6. It was actually cheaper to buy from Lowe's with a 10% off coupon code and free delivery. It fit through a "normal" sized door. HD wouldn't let me ship to store and do in store pickup.

Yeah, I an into that with the delivery charge too. I suppose I could have gone with the GE. But there were a few additional concerns with it that I didn't mention. I mentioned a basement finishing project. Our basement is currently unfinished, and 1400sqft of wasted space. I had attempted to build basic shelves to bring down there, but when I went to bring them down, I found that I couldn't get a 4x8 sheet of plywood down the stairs. Our stairs have a 180º turn on a landing, and I couldn't fit the ply down, no matter how I turned it. I was concerned that I'd run into the same problem with a larger freezer.

Lastly, I don't have all that high regards for GE appliances. I have friends who've had awful experiences with them, and I think I read somewhere that their freezers are problem-prone too.

Lastly, I don't have all that high regards for GE appliances. I have friends who've had awful experiences with them, and I think I read somewhere that their freezers are problem-prone too.

Good to know. I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Back