Keeping your Keezer outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelBastard

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be in a situation for the next few years where I have to keep my keezer outside if I'm going to have one at all. Does anyone have any experience with this? It will be mostly exposed to the elements (maybe partly covered but not too much) I can possibly put like a little canopy on it but can't do much beyond that. If I keep it elevated a few inches so that it doesn't end up in a puddle do you think it'd be ok? Thanks for any info :mug:

Get it high enough off the ground and have something keeping driving rain off of it and I think you'll be fine.

We've had ice machines outside for fishing ice.

I built mine in October (was still pretty hot) and keep it on the back porch under the patio. I live in Texas and it's been fine. I think the only thing I have noticed is condensation on humid days. I also keep a small pc fan in there which helps the temps stay even around the collar. Other than that I think it will do fine. Lots of folks keep there's in the garage, which I think would be hotter.

I think you need to keep it off the ground and shelter it from rain somehow. You may also have to clean the faucets a bit more since they are outside and will be subject to flies and all. I bought faucet plugs that cover the faucet ends and spray starsan in there. Good luck.

+1 on the faucet plugs. I have seen the foam kind, and don't care for them. The black vinyl kind work great, and the Sulliplug has a little brush inside which is nice. I've had taps outside for about a year now, also in TX, and I killed a commercial kegerator as they're not rated for freezing temps unless you do some extra work. The residential freezer is a great way to go (which is what I'm using now), people tend to store these in super hot and freezing cold garages. It should last forever. And +1 on the fan. If you plan on having tower/s, you will want a blower to cool them.

If it is going to get below freezing outside, you'll need to have something to heat your kegerator hooked up to a temperature controller that can be used to control a heating element, otherwise everything will freeze.

Ah, I hadn't even thought about faucet plugs. I'll invest in some of those. I'm not concerned about freezing because I live in Southern California. It's a bit rainy right now but 99% of the time it will be nice weather. Sounds like if I keep it somewhat undercover and off the ground I should be alright :)

Thanks for the info

I dont think hitting freezing temperatures for a few hours in the morning will matter much, however if it routinely stays below freezing, you'll have issues. Maybe connect a light bulb to the Ranco on those nights.

Back