K.i.s.s.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLO_ROLL

Reaction score
Ok. Im wanting to brew my own beer without going overboard. I will be bottleing the beer and would like to buy a kit or make one. I know this prob has been asked before but what do I need to do? I have been reading a little on this site but you guys are way to involved for me. I like St. Paulie Girl, Shiner Blonde, Heinekin, and Becks. I want to go as cheap as I can. Thanks for the help.

Thanks. Im just looking for some insite. Its like you guys are talking another language when I read some of the posts. Brew Talk I guess.

Like any hobby or profession it has it's own language. Read the stickies in all the forums and you will get familiar with a lot of the terminology.

Follow the introductory recipe on http://www.howtobrew.com/ I made this myself a couple weeks ago. It was easy enough for some who had never brewed beer before (but I have done mead) and it is now resting contentedly in a 5 gallon glass carboy after being racked at the two week mark.

Incidentally, I was astonished at the volume and density of the trub. Nothing at all like lees from wine and mead making...

The best thing you can do to start is read howtobrew.com. Then buy a simple kit from a trusted store and follow the directions. Then come on here if you have any questions.

Ok Im ordering the book. Now with the list of beers I said I liked what would be a good recipe? Are those types of beer easy to brew? Thanks for the help!

Ok Im ordering the book. Now with the list of beers I said I liked what would be a good recipe? Are those types of beer easy to brew? Thanks for the help!

Those are mostly pale lagers that you mentioned -- a style that can be hard to brew because they are pale & light in flavor so any off flavors are very easily noticeable. Additionally, they are lagers and this means you need to be able to control the temperature of fermentation carefully (usually between 48F-54F). With ales, you can generally ferment at room temperature, so it's usually a bit easier to start with ales. A blonde ale may be a good place to start. Lots of new brewers have made this and really enjoyed it.

Centennial Blonde Recipe/

It's really a lot easier than it sounds. If you post your city perhaps you can find a volunteer to take you through a brew day. I found a brew buddy on here he was about 45 minutes away and I went to his place and he walked me through an all grain brewday. It was without a doubt the best day I've invested in brewing.

It's not on your list but the easiest (and one of the best tasting) extract brews is a hefeweizen. Your ingredients list are as follows:

-6 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract
-1 oz Hops (Hallertau, Tettnanger, Saaz, Fuggle, or some other light hop...should be around 3-4% alpha acid content)
-1 vial WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

1. Bring 3 gallons to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and stir in extract.
3. Bring back to a boil.
4. Add hops.
5. Boil for 60 minutes.
6. Cool in an ice bath.
7. Dump into fermenter bucket or funnel into carboy.
8. Top off with clean, cold water. (storebought gallon or 2.5 gal bottles is best)
9. Add yeast.
10. Add lid and/or airlock.

10 easy steps. Make sure you read up on sanitation. Everything that touches the beer after it has been boiled needs to be clean and sanitized.

Back