Just started my first brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkroger

Reaction score
Picked up a kit at my local HBS Brewcat An "American Light" Boiled the Wort hopped it as instructed for about an hour or a little more then finish hopped it boiled an additional 10 minutes then cooled it with a wort chiller had a bit of trouble getting it down to 70 degrees made it to 85 but my water waiting in the primary was not much warmer so I pitched the yeast (activated and proofed) to the cool water in the primary then siphoned my wort to the primary and gave it a shake, and applied the airlock... I was unable to get an OG is it too late or should I have done this step? I did use vodka in the airlock, My bucket turns out to be a bottling bucket with a hole in it... so I used a brand new 6 gallon carboy for the primary so just dropping my hydrometer in there is not an option should I siphon off a bit of beer and measure it?

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Just chaulk it up as experience and do it next time. Congrats by the way . Let us know how it turns out .

kkroger said:
Picked up a kit at my local HBS Brewcat An "American Light" Boiled the Wort hopped it as instructed for about an hour or a little more then finish hopped it boiled an additional 10 minutes then cooled it with a wort chiller had a bit of trouble getting it down to 70 degrees made it to 85 but my water waiting in the primary was not much warmer so I pitched the yeast (activated and proofed) to the cool water in the primary then siphoned my wort to the primary and gave it a shake, and applied the airlock... I was unable to get an OG is it too late or should I have done this step? I did use vodka in the airlock, My bucket turns out to be a bottling bucket with a hole in it... so I used a brand new 6 gallon carboy for the primary so just dropping my hydrometer in there is not an option should I siphon off a bit of beer and measure it?

Yea No worrys..Next time if your wort is that warm try to get the yeast the same temp before pitching this will help the buggers in more ways than one.Your lage time will be much better.

Glad to hear it! I won't give it a second thought just waiting for the bubbles to start now... :D

Woo Hoo She's bubbling! :cool:

17 days? That's utter madness. You better watch that you don't forget how to brew, Andre.

kkrog, I just got into this homebrew nonsense too, and I'm totally hooked. 1 month ago, I was worried about making undrinkable quantities of beer, and now I'm to the point of getting a bit nervous if I don't have at least 2 full secondary carboys...

My policy (which I sometimes forget) is to err on the side of leaving the beer alone. Any time you MIGHT contaminate it, and don't really really really need the info you are seeking... forget it. Beer seems happiest if left for week long naps. Sounds like your fermentation is going nicely.

Take your samples using a "thief".

You can also get one of those plastic tubes on a stand to place your hydrometer and therm in to take your measurements. This also acts as a taste :D sample when measurements are completed.

andre the giant said:
It's been 17 days since I last brewed and I'm getting antsy.
andre, from your list of what you have bottled, your set for a nuclear fall-out, and probably enough to last through reconstruction! :D

you'll want to take the SG reading after cooling the wort, but before you aerate and pitch your yeast. no biggies if you don't. i seldom do anymore. as long as it taste good, looks good, and gives me a buzz, i'm happy! :D

HAHA! I just cracked the top on a root beer I made a week or so ago and OH Man what a gusher! I followed the recipe to the letter and out of a 16 ounce bottle I had about a half cup left! I am definitely going straight to keggin my home brew!

OK started this brew on Thursday last, It agressively bubbled for the first couple days and now has subsided to no bubbling... the beer is golden in color and has a bit of stuff floating around in it, the Krausen has fallen to the bottom leaving a hoppy looking ring around the carboy... Should I rack to a secondary? or should I go ahead and Keg it and get it started on aging? Or should I just wait until Saturday or sunday to do anything?
Smells like Pilsner Urquell and shows no register on the hydrometer..

Advice?

kkroger said:
OK started this brew on Thursday last, It agressively bubbled for the first couple days and now has subsided to no bubbling... the beer is golden in color and has a bit of stuff floating around in it, the Krausen has fallen to the bottom leaving a hoppy looking ring around the carboy... Should I rack to a secondary? or should I go ahead and Keg it and get it started on aging? Or should I just wait until Saturday or sunday to do anything?
Smells like Pilsner Urquell and shows no register on the hydrometer..

Advice?

I'd rack it today or tomorrow. The falling krausen is when I usually do it or 5 days in primary.

Thanks! Guess I will rack it to the secondary tomorow night after work. need to get some tubing for my Autosiphon...

kkroger said:
Advice?

i'd rack it to a secondary, let it condition for 10-12 days, then bottle/keg. sounds yummy! :D

Smells like Pilsner Urquell but I should expect that with the Saaz Hops for the bittering... and a northern US hops for the finishing... it looks golden and smells and an independent taster confirms it tastes like beer... I can't drink it yet because of treatment but I am satisfied I have created and american pils... seems as though it will be similar to Budweiser...

Got it racked to the Secondary with the autosiphon... Note to self when computing the amount of tubing needed for an autosiphon be sure to add about 18" to allow for the stroke of the pump.... Got all of the beer save for a 1/4" bove the trub... Looks golden but a bit cloudy it will secondary for a week or so then go to the keg in the same manner... Tomorrow I will start a batch of Hefe Weizen been hooked on that stuff since Germany! I like a nice cloudy Weizen but a krystal is nice too.. Question is should I put my hops pellets in a bag to get them out of the wort easier? the kit I am using has two cans of John Bull Wheat extract and some hops... Pretty simple kit for a Weizen I think should be simple for me my American Pilsner was more complicated...

PS I think my hydrometer must be wrong because this stuff shows no reading at all the thing is a bobber looking at the instructions it shows "Proof" not specific gravity.. making it sort of worthless to me it also says for distilled spirits not for Beer or wine! WTH?

i've never used a hop bag, but you can. easier to remove gunk i suppose? matter of fact, the batch i brewed saturday was the first time i have ever used irish moss. gonna see if it makes a difference?

there are no 1.000 type numbers down the side of the hydrometer? hhmm? no worries. pick one up next time you buy some ingredients or gadgets. they're inexpensive.....

kkroger said:
PS I think my hydrometer must be wrong because this stuff shows no reading at all the thing is a bobber looking at the instructions it shows "Proof" not specific gravity.. making it sort of worthless to me it also says for distilled spirits not for Beer or wine! WTH?

Does it have any other measure on it at all? I had one that had the proof and it also had something called the "Balling Scale". If this is the case, it can be used for beer. Do a google search on the Balling Scale and specific gravity. You should find some formula for conversion...I did some time ago.

Having said that, you should be able to get a new BEER hydrometer for about $5-$7. Might be easier than calculating.

Nothing else just proofs such as 0 to 200 no typical markings no other scales...
Made in france ..........Figures....

Latest posts

Back