Just saying hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewer73

Reaction score
Just joined the site and wanted to say hello. And many thanks to everyone who contributes. Prior to joining, I've been out here a lot reading things - from my first batch, to kegging, building a kegerator,etc.

Welcome! Don't be hesitant to ask for anything you might have questions on. Where in TX are you?

North of Dallas. Not active with NTHBA because of my son's sports activities and general laziness. But still love to brew and talk about brewing. Got into it 20 years ago as a means to save $$ in college. Made some awful beer and gave up. Got the bug again last year and haven't stopped. Helps now that I'm older and have more money to invest in everything.

I am in Houston. I got my brother in to brewing about a year ago he lives in north richland hills. Think I like saving $ on good beer. My wife would not agree after all the equi that I am saving $ but I swear I am.

I've learned that if you get into homebrewing to save money, you're a fool. It's a hobby, and like all hobbies, they have a cost. How far you want to take that is up to you. For me, I'm not married any more, so I don't have someone pulling those strings. I can spend as I please, so long as it fits in the budget.

Three fridges in (including a kegerator, fermenting fridge, and a general storage fridge), keggle, counterflow chiller, misc eqpt, and of course ingredients, and I've spent over $1000 easily - just on the eqpt. And now I'm about to go all-grain. But its fun and all in the name of...

BEER

texasbrewer73 said:
I've learned that if you get into homebrewing to save money, you're a fool. It's a hobby, and like all hobbies, they have a cost. How far you want to take that is up to you. For me, I'm not married any more, so I don't have someone pulling those strings. I can spend as I please, so long as it fits in the budget.

Three fridges in (including a kegerator, fermenting fridge, and a general storage fridge), keggle, counterflow chiller, misc eqpt, and of course ingredients, and I've spent over $1000 easily - just on the eqpt. And now I'm about to go all-grain. But its fun and all in the name of...

BEER

I added it up and I am at $870.00. Keezer, all grain set up, refrigerator, and the rest that makes this hobby fun.

As far as less expensive I think it it. Made a DFH clone for $55 that is way better than $9 a 4 pack.

I also enjoy the patients that it takes to brew a good beer and how good it tastes when your time pays off.

Next purchase is a side by side refrigerator. Freezer side for lagering and the right for ale.

I was lucky with fridges - I got my general on craigslist for $100. some extra freezer space for buying in bulk, keep plenty of cold drinks down below, lager, etc. My fermenting fridge was a gem - apartment complex was exchanging appliances to modernize. $50 for a used fridge. I use it with a controller to ferment and couldn't ask for more.

Back