Just had my 2nd brew day... what will this taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdsnake

Reaction score
So I went to the lhbs with a shopping list for "easy blonde ale" but came out with some substitutions...

It's a blonde ale with citra at 2 minutes... going for sort of a beachy blonde lol

It's a 4gal batch... now fermenting in 5gal bb og was 1.049-1.05 ish

Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.096 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
4.36 lb Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen 42 2 85.7%
4.36 lb Total

Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5.82 oz American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 7.1%
5.82 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 10L 35 10 7.1%

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.6 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 60 min 8.49
0.4 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 30 min 4.35
1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Boil 2 min 2.93

Probably gonna taste like beer :).

Probably a light, easy going brew. Crystal 10 and carapils are very similar, they are both going to add some body and a hint of sweetness. Putting fuggles with a citrus forward hop will be a bit interesting, not saying good interesting, just interesting. Fuggle have a distinct woodsy earthy thing going with a floral background which IME mutes the bright citrus of character of hops such as citra which a grain bill like the one you have would otherwise do well to help the citra shine. Don't mean to rain on your parade, just my opinion based on what my tastes are. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable brew...but, I'm guessing it won't stand out as a favorite in the long run of your brewing career.

Probably an easy drinker pale ale. I mean, hard to really say until it is done and I'm in your house drinking your beer though.

Looks like a nice little blonde ale, fairly low alcohol and bitterness, maybe a little hint of tropical fruit aroma and flavor from the Citra, but not a whole lot. I'd drink it. In fact, I just brewed one very similar last weekend.

Looks like a nice little blonde ale, fairly low alcohol and bitterness, maybe a little hint of tropical fruit aroma and flavor from the Citra, but not a whole lot. I'd drink it. In fact, I just brewed one very similar last weekend.

This is pretty much how I hope it turns out... something nice and light to take out into the yard when springtime rolls around. I went for low ibu so that I can share with my mom and my basic beer friends lol.

Back