Just had an oops moment with my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harebearva

Reaction score
Hi all. Brew day for me, making a kolsch. Had something interesting happen. I'm doing Jamil's JZ Fruh from Classic Styles.

Grain bill:
4.5 lbs pilsner
4 ounces Vienna
2 ounces acid malt

I set my mill using credit card gap and got a medium grind. Mashed at 149 for an hour and let it creep up to 153 for another 30 minutes.

I'm doing a 2.5 gallon batch. I collected 3.2 gallons of wort for the boil. My gravity pre boil was 1.050. I calculated my efficiency at 89%. I wonder if this is too high? I've heard some speak of extracting unwanted flavors when efficiency gets out of the 70's. I suppose 90 minutes of mashing wasn't necessary or maybe a courser grind.

Funny thing is most of the time people complain of low efficiency. :)
I did do a homemade sparge. I let my bag drain into another pot and filtered my top off water at 170 degrees through it. I got a half gallon of 1.032 top off.

I believe I will have to add some top off water if I'm going to hit my intended OG.
Any evals of my mash are most welcomed

Thanks,

Hare.

Hi all. Brew day for me, making a kolsch. Had something interesting happen. I'm doing Jamil's JZ Fruh from Classic Styles.

Grain bill:
4.5 lbs pilsner
4 ounces Vienna
2 ounces acid malt

I set my mill using credit card gap and got a medium grind. Mashed at 149 for an hour and let it creep up to 153 for another 30 minutes.

I'm doing a 2.5 gallon batch. I collected 3.2 gallons of wort for the boil. My gravity pre boil was 1.050. I calculated my efficiency at 89%. I wonder if this is too high? I've heard some speak of extracting unwanted flavors when efficiency gets out of the 70's. I suppose 90 minutes of mashing wasn't necessary or maybe a courser grind.

Funny thing is most of the time people complain of low efficiency. :)
I did do a homemade sparge. I let my bag drain into another pot and filtered my top off water at 170 degrees through it. I got a half gallon of 1.032 top off.

I believe I will have to add some top off water if I'm going to hit my intended OG.
Any evals of my mash are most welcomed

Thanks,

Hare.

Don't think it's a problem. I've had a few beers when BS was set to 75% eff and I got like 80% w/out any problems. If you are using BS just change the setting in the software and you'll use a blt less grain next time.

Back