Just got a free cooler. now a Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitbull-brewer

Reaction score
I have recently been given a 3 gallon cooler. I was excited since I am interested to expand out of extract brewing. I am fine with doing smaller batches and working to perfect the craft before going for anything over 5 gallons. So the question is what is the biggest batch I can do with a 3 gallon cooler as my mash tun. I know it wont be but but free is free and that is good.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

short answer is a 3 gal batch...more or less depending on how strong you like your beer. For like 14 bucks you can get a cheap 28 qt cooler and go to larger batches...YMMV happy brewing.

How big is your kettle? You could also mash in that, and just use the cooler to lauter? Or BIAB for larger batches...many ways to skin the AG cat if you are flexible???

Sam's Clubs near me have the 5 Gallon orange igloo cooler for 19.95 if you want to move up a little. I just got the 10 Gallon from Walmart for 39.95 on a ship to store from the web site.

Walmart currently has what appears to be a 10 or 12 gallon cooler for 29.96. Yes, your 3 gallon cooler will work, but you will be very limited in your gravity and batch size. (I've had pretty good luck with 5 gallons tho)

I have been reading about IPA'a and Barleywines, and that is what peaked my interest to get into AG brewing. I am thinking I can make a small batch of IPA, around 2 to 2.5 gallons. Then make a 1 to 1.5 gallon of barleywine wort and pour it directly onto the IPA yeast cake. I know some brewers don't like putting in the effort for such small amounts but that doesn't bother me. I love the process and I am operating on a budget. Does this sound feasible to you guys?

You could also take a half step and do partial mash brewing. I did several batches using a 2 gal round cooler. I was able to mash 4 lbs of grain in it. Was better than straight extract but I was able to keep brewing in my kitchen.

Back