Just got a bunch of carboys! Should I...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurtamous

Reaction score
My pal's neighbor was throwing out 7 6 gallon glass carboys and a 5 gallon carboy (throwing them away! The madman!) and a couple boxes of wine bottles. Luckily a friend noticed and picked em up and gave me one hell of a cheerful surprise when he called me over to give em to me!

To avoid learning the hard way, I searched the forums to see if anyone had posed the question but could not quite find it: Could I use a 6 gallon carboy to ferment 5 gallons successfully without a blow-off tube? If not, why?

Thanks mates

Although i'd never done this... what is the harm in fashioning a blow off tube? better safe than sorry...

Depends on the beer and yeast you're doing.... You could, but wouldn't you rather just have a little piece of mind by using a blow off tube?

I don't think there is any harm, I just don't want to do it if I don't have to (never have).
I suppose I should have asked would I need to use a blow-off tube.

and yeah, It was the find of the year!

I ferment in a 6 gallon better bottle all the time, no worries. Always be safe and install a blow-off tube the first 2-3 days of active fermentation.

After a recent experience with my 5-gal batch coming out of the airlock on my 6.5-gal bucket, I'm now going to use a blowoff for the first few days every time.

I thought I'd have enough headspace in my brew bucket but the yeast had other plans!

I'd definitely recommend using a blowoff... they are very easy to make and give you peace of mind.

You can put together a blow off tube for a few dollars. Considering that there is a tiny risk with NOT using one... why not just eliminate all risk and have some piece of mind?

Good find...I found a guy selling a bunch of carboys and stuff on craigslist

I got 4 - 3gallon...4 - 5 gallon ...and 1 - 7 gallon carboys
4 buckets
a fruit press for wine and stuff
about 48 wine bottles
a ton of corks, airlocks and tops
a scale
and a few other goodies
$200

I was a happy brewer that day :)

I don't think there is any harm, I just don't want to do it if I don't have to (never have).
I suppose I should have asked would I need to use a blow-off tube.

and yeah, It was the find of the year!

Everything you would need to set up a blow-off would cost you under $5. Its not about keeping the good stuff in, its about keeping bad stuff OUT. Yeah, most of the time you'll be fine, but for a couple bucks total investment, its worth the added peace of mind. If you prefer to not use one, then rock on, but they aren't complicated or expensive.

Nice find Koed, and thanks all who replied! Ill make the blow-off tube and rest easy.

Thanks for the help! Now with all the carboys I'm hoping to find a beer to brew that needs a long fermentation (never done a lager, sour ale, lambic, or other such) so I can have that going while keeping the regular brews in rotation.

Cheers!

Back