Just cracked open my first bottle of homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92greenyj

Reaction score
Well its officially been one month to the day since brewing our Krawler Kolsch and our So Cal Strawberry Ale. Cracked open the first bottle of Strawberry ale for a taste today. The bottle was still at room temp. That was a BIG mistake. The second the top came off it blew foam everywhere. I'm thinking we either used too much sugar for the bottling (since its a pretty damn sweet beer as it is) or maybe its not quite done yet.

The good side, it tasted AWSOME!! I feel i definitly reached the goal with it, its light, sweet and refreshing. a great summer beer. and one i think i can get some of my lady freinds to try as a means of weining them into drinking beer.

First off, Congrats!

Second, did you check several beers along the way to check their carbonation levels?

Third, place all of your beer in the fridge to get to cold ASAP. The cold retards the carbonation process and should reduce your gushers. :D

CONGRATS! it always feels good when a batch turns out good. and even better when your friends ooo and ahhh about it. makes you proud so as you can't wait to get back to the brewing again.

thanks guys. the strawberry is actually the second beer we made, but both finished at the same time. Basically we accidently killed our white labs yeast we used for the kolsch. But we got anothewr vile and threw it in the day we brewed the strawberry, so both beers were finished and bottled on the same day.

We tossed a six pack of each in our second fridge (which BTW is now pretty much all beer and brewing stuff. We have quite a nice supply of various hop pellets developing) last night. tasted both today and did it right by pouring em into pint glasses.

first comments on the Kolsch: Very good beer, came out excellent. good body, colocr, and flavor balance. nice light, crisp taste. and decent head retention. Overall, im happy with it.

Second comments on the Strawberry: AWSOME beer! i think we acheived our goal with it, which was a nice, sweet rereshing summer beer. Its got a sweet taste, and a semi tart finish to it. the strawberries added a nice flavor and the beer is a cool pink color. And talk about head retention! this sucker still had a nice head to it a half an hour after pouring!! (only reason it sat that long is because i was making a bottle drying/bottling table at the time)

Cant wait til next week when i get to try the vanilla stout we made. Thats the best thing about brewing a batch each week, from here on out i'll have a new beer to drink each week! :D

Back