Just bottled my First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spulls

Reaction score
I just bottled my First batch of brew this past Monday it was an American light kit by brewer’s best. I left it in the Primary fermenter for 2 weeks. I think it was long enough for the type of beer….I am hoping anyway. I will keep you all posted.

I than brewed a second batch which was a Brewer's Best English Brown Kit. I think I am going to use a secondary fermenter for this kit and extend the amount of time in each fermenter.

use a hydrometer to find out if it truly has been "enough" time. Once the readings are the same for a few days after you waited two to three weeks, then its bottle time.

My First reading was around 1.036 and the final reading was around 1.007. For my second batch the first reading was around 1.046... I am still a noob at reading my hydrometer though..

May I suggest you not bother with a secondary. Allows the yeast to improve your beer.

B

EDIT: Meaning, rather than hurry the beer from the yeast, allow it to sit on the yeast so they can do their thing.

I agree,rushing it into secondary isn't going to git-r-done faster. It needs to reach a stable FG in primary. Then,3-7 days for it to clean up by products of fermentation,& settle out more before bottling.

Congrats!

The biggest two things I learned from bottling a couple batches were things you'll hear repeated here often.

1) Give the beer enough time to carbonate properly. You'll like it way better when it's carbed properly. The typical mantra is three weeks at 70*F. Some go shorter, but at three weeks you're pretty much guaranteed (with a normal beer) that your yeast is done doing its thing and your beer is ready to enjoy.

2) Refrigerate for a while before you drink, and pour carefully. You'll be more proud of your finished product and avoid a mouthful of yeast if you let the beer chill for a couple days so the yeast can drop out and compact, and if you pour carefully enough to not get the lees in your glass.

I've found through experience that a week is better than a couple days,2 weeks way better that in regard to fridge times/ut your right on the money other wise.

Back