just another dang MN brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnunit

Reaction score
Hi guys. I started posting before I noticed this "introduce yourself" forum. I'm JonO, I live in North Minneapolis, where my wife and I have owned a home for hte last five years. We have two kids, two cats, and three six gallon glass carboys.

I've been brewing since 1993 and my LHBS has bounced around from James Page (yes, once upon a time there was a real brewery attached to that name! It was in Nordeast and they had a homebrew supply shop too), to Brew n' Grow, to Midwest, to Northern Brewer, to Black Hills Staple & Spice Market in Rapid City, SD. Nowadays the most convenient for me is Midwest Supplies, which I can get to in 13 minutes if the traffic is right and I'm aggressive. I started brewing from extract in my college dorm, a SNPA clone I learned about from rec.crafts.brewing. I started brewing all grain in 2003, while reading John Palmer's book and having a kind of light dawn on me about how easy it really could be. (I also learned about hot side aeration around that same time. Ewww.)

My favorites tend to be American styles—APAs, ambers, IPAs, and...well I guess I should just come out and say it: almost anything Minnesotan. Something about our locals just hits the spots I want to hit with beer. Pretty convenient to live here, I guess!

At time of this writing I've re-entered the hobby after a couple years slow-time, with a firm determination to put something new into a primary every two weeks. I believe if I can stick to that schedule, I'll save money and have a great flow of quality beer. The plan is so I'll have either a variant of my continually evolving house ordinary bitter or "something different" available any day of the week. I am pleased to report the plan is working, thanks in part to my longstanding impatien^h^h^h...err...willingness to do rigorous quality assurance testing! I am dialing in on a good session brew recipe that will yield pour-ready beer in a nice short time frame, something to "hold us over" while the others work through the conditioning cycle. I believe this is going to necessitate a few more carboys. I am willing to take this risk! For SCIENCE!

Thanks for all the help: I've been lurking With A Vengeance for a couple months now and you're all so very good at this, it keeps me well engaged!

Welcome to the forum, good luck on your quest for your session ale. I too love anything Minnesotan!

Back