Jun tea, the "Honey Kombucha"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarynleigh44

Reaction score
Aloha friends! Are any of you brewing Jun? Or are you familiar with what it is? I would like to share more about what this Kombucha-alternative is. Please view link to learn more:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1712056392/maui-jun-company-brewers-of-the-finest-honey-kombu
Hint: it's brewed with green tea and honey, and is commonly referred to as the "champagne of Kombucha". And, it takes me only three days brew cycle vs 7-12 days, as with regular Kombucha.
Question? Ask away!

Thank you for being up front and asking such pertinent questions in which I will be happy to answer!

#1) Yes, this Kickstarter is mine
#2) And no, I did not join the forum to promote my campaign, but rather, to raise awareness around Jun. I included the link so that one can watch the description if they are more visually oriented. And, as an added benefit, they can get a sense of who I am.
And who I am is a single mother of two children who has been a long time lover of fermented foods and beverages. Personally, I have been brewing Jun for quite awhile, and recently decided to start offering it at our local farmers market. Yes, I do in fact currently have a live Kickstarter campaign in effect as we speak. Notice, I have purposefully refrained from asking any of you to support it, but rather, view the video to learn exactly what Jun is, and how we can further benefit the world in a creative way.
As for Kickstarter, I am honestly not sure that I will meet my goal, however, the time and money spent on such a project has to amount to something. Sooo...I, me, who is not tech savvy, and usually shies away from internet-related anything, has decided to use this momentum for at the very least, a catalyzing experience in regards to reaching out to the world to educate...to reach out beyond my immediate community. At the very least, I will have raised more awareness in regards to the mystery of Jun tea. And, I will have walked away with more skills in regards to using technology in order to network with others, as well as gain/share information.
I am here just for that purpose, and to discuss more deeply the questions surrounding Jun: Is the scoby actually from Tibet? Is it really a Kombucha scoby that has been trained to eat honey? How long is your brew cycle? How long is mine? What types of honey do you prefer to brew with, and why? The list goes on and on. I am here, because this is my passion. A long-winded answer to a short question!

I've heard it can handle brewing at lower temps than standard kombucha, is this correct? Would this likely be due to the honey or would kombucha brewed with green tea handle lower temps?

I've heard it can handle brewing at lower temps than standard kombucha, is this correct? Would this likely be due to the honey or would kombucha brewed with green tea handle lower temps?

You are absolutely correct! Usually, an 8 to 10 degree difference.
I believe the honey is a factor in this...

Aloha indeed! Thanks for informing! I just started brewing Jun, and I all I want to do is share it with everyone! After my 4th batch I found myself researching bee keeping in order to keep up with this delicious honey - green tea ferment! I have a few questions if you don't mind
1. What is your favorite method of creating new Jun scobys? It seems more patience is needed for jun scobys as they are more delicate and diffuse then Kombucha daughter scobys. What can be done to thicken faster?

2. do you recommend using any other teas in addition to green tea?
3. i noticed a significant amount of small brown flecks in my raw unfiltered honey, I assume its bee parts and pollen, is that the norm and ok for the scoby?
Thank you !

What do you mean by "lower brewing temps"? Don't you just leave it at room temperature?

What do you mean by "lower brewing temps"? Don't you just leave it at room temperature?
Some people use heating pads in the winter to make sure the kombucha is in the ideal temperature range. Normally peoples houses are cooler in the winter so brew times can be longer, but with Jun its ideal range is 5-10 degrees lower so it can be more ideal for colder months but also brew too fast in summer.

I have read about Komucha and Jun a lot and I have never heard of temperature being a problem at all. I just check for taste periodically. There is a good gap of time after the sugar has been well fermented but before it turns into vinegar. That is the time I consume.

I have read about Komucha and Jun a lot and I have never heard of temperature being a problem at all. I just check for taste periodically. There is a good gap of time after the sugar has been well fermented but before it turns into vinegar. That is the time I consume.
I don't think temperature is a problem when it's the general house temps, I was referring more to the ideal range. Kombucha can brew in the mid 60s I'm sure but mid 70s is ideal. Then from what I've read jun is basically the opposite and some people may not like brewing jun in hotter weather. When anything ferments too quickly the taste is not the best that it could be.

I don't think temperature is a problem when it's the general house temps, I was referring more to the ideal range. Kombucha can brew in the mid 60s I'm sure but mid 70s is ideal. Then from what I've read jun is basically the opposite and some people may not like brewing jun in hotter weather. When anything ferments too quickly the taste is not the best that it could be.

I have heard that temperatures over 80 F/26 C is not good for fermentations.

Aloha indeed! Thanks for informing! I just started brewing Jun, and I all I want to do is share it with everyone! After my 4th batch I found myself researching bee keeping in order to keep up with this delicious honey - green tea ferment! I have a few questions if you don't mind
1. What is your favorite method of creating new Jun scobys? It seems more patience is needed for jun scobys as they are more delicate and diffuse then Kombucha daughter scobys. What can be done to thicken faster?

2. do you recommend using any other teas in addition to green tea?
3. i noticed a significant amount of small brown flecks in my raw unfiltered honey, I assume its bee parts and pollen, is that the norm and ok for the scoby?
Thank you !
Aloha!!
Due to brewing Jun, I started keeping bees as well : ) Fascinating!!

To address your questions:

1) I have found no other way to produce Jun sconces at a quicker rate. Time and patience, my friend!

2) I have used white and jasmine teas with good results. Play away!

3) I too get significant amounts of brown flecks that actually adhere to my scobies. That is from the use of raw, unfiltered honey, and it is normal.

I hope that this helps! Aloha!

Jun has a brew preferred brew temp of 68 to 69 degrees...about 5-10 degrees cooler than Kombucha. You can brew at higher temps, but brew time may be shortened (it’s already shorter brew time than kombucha). I find that the flavor profile changes at higher temps as well...

Some people use heating pads in the winter to make sure the kombucha is in the ideal temperature range. Normally peoples houses are cooler in the winter so brew times can be longer, but with Jun its ideal range is 5-10 degrees lower so it can be more ideal for colder months but also brew too fast in summer.
And that, my friend, is why Jun is most popular in places like Oregon and Colorado!
I brew commercially, so I have a temperature-controlled certified kitchen here in Hawaii ; )

It’s all according to personal taste!

I believe it is the presence of honey, as well as the preference of the Jun Scoby...those scobies are a bit more are finicky, like cats!

Yes! It likes to be brewed at around 68 to 69 degrees. I believe that it is the honey. But also the Scoby. It’s a bit more finicky than kombucha...like cats compared to dogs!

If I want to try jun, can I just use my standard black tea scoby and starter, then assume after 2-3 generations it will be full jun? Or do I need to go and find a different scoby from someone (which probably will be enough to scrap this idea).

If I want to try jun, can I just use my standard black tea scoby and starter, then assume after 2-3 generations it will be full jun? Or do I need to go and find a different scoby from someone (which probably will be enough to scrap this idea).
Aloha! It is rumored that one can train a kombucha Scoby to eat honey, however, I have never tried it. It would be wise to slowly introduce the honey, and blend it with the sugar, until full use of honey can be obtained. Some claim that this is not officially Jun, as true Jun comes from a culture traced back to Tibet (don’t ask me how this is actually verified!). Either way, if you can brew a kombucha fermented with honey, I am certain the nutritional profile will be high, and the flavor profile will shift.
Try it! And let me know!!

Where can one acquire a jun SCOBY? Also, I think I've read that jun has a higher alcohol content (ABV). Do you know if that's true? What would the ABV be compared to kombucha (which I think ranges from about .5% to 1.5% depending on many factors.

Hiya! It is rumored that Jun has a higher alcohol percentage, however, I think it does in fact depend upon many factors...particularly when one pulls the brew...

You can find Jun scobies online. I am prepping to sell my scobies thru Amazon, but feel free to contact me if you need a Scoby ; )

Back