Jr. Brewing Merit Badge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I've earned the Jr. Brewing Merit Badge :D

So far, I've brewed about 8 batches(5 gal) of Belgian Wit, a stout, a dunkel-weiss, and a couple of hefe-weizens. All from kits, except the last few Wits. There, I bought quantities of the ingredients of the Wit kit, and am just using their recipe. (1lb 2-row, 1lb unmalted wheat, .5 lb oats, 2 oz aciduated malt, 4 lbs DME Pilsner).

All of these batches turned out good, we drank all of it. :tank: No infections. I don't even bother to sanitize anymore, the last 4-5 batches I just rinsed out the stuff with water (live in the mountains, doesn't seem to be any bacteria here). Built a kegerator from a Danby-440, dual stainless tower with 2 Perlick 525ss's.

Learned how to make rice wine, also. All from this site. I am very thankful for this site; it is very well run, and I wish I had found it years earlier. Oh, and as for the "Merit Badge", can I just get a beer instead? :mug:

Just my opinion but you should still sanitze. There are lots of bacteria everwhere. Some of them will really mess up your beer if they get in it. It is just a mater of time until it happens in my opinion, That said good luck.

Cheers!

It's only a matter of time that nasties start to show up in places you don't see, 8 batches may not be enough but Star San should become new your new best brewing assistant:)

Otherwise.....start learning how to make sours:D

Bread left out here doesn't get mold, it dries up to dust. We have less than 10% humidity normally. I did the rice wine the same way, just rinsed out the jars with water; no infections.

Of course, now that I am bragging about it .... :)

You do not have to sanitize everything, only the stuff that touches the wort/beer after cooling. Better safe than sorry. There is bacteria everywhere, beer is resiliant as the amount of yeast you add overwhelms most other bugs that may be in there, but in the long run your beer can suffer and eventually you will get an infection. Especially if you are aging one of your beers (gushers or bottle bombs are a possibility there)

I agree. where do you live with only 10% humidity,Death Valley? Must be a dry dessert area. But there are things that can survive in dry climates. At the very least,make sure everything is clean,including removing spigots & cleaning them & the mounting hole every single time. Rinse out tubing & bottling wands as well.

Back