Johnson temp control capabilities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainBrothers

Reaction score
I am ready to pull the trigger on turning a chest freezer into a controlled fermentation chamber. I am picking up a chest freezer off of craigslist this evening, and just about to order a temperature control. I was looking at the Johnson digital model, but am more than open to suggestions.

I was wondering if, in the future, I wanted to add at least one more fermentation chamber, I could control those with the same control? Here is where I am open to suggestions - if the Johnson model can not do this, is there one out there (for around the same price) that can? I think most can relate when I say I would like to get the best outcome for the least amount of money, so I am doing some research before summer hits, and temperatures are harder to control.

Currently, I have four 2.5 gallon experimental batches fermenting in my closet, so you can imagine how frustrated my girlfriend gets that I am taking up her precious shoe storage. Sometimes I have up to 7 going at once, so I would like a space that I can control these better, and actually call my own space. If I remain at this capacity, I would like to get another freezer and use that one for a cold crashing unit. I currently use a spare fridge, and just time my brews according to when I will need to use the cold crashing space, but I would like to have more capacity, and use the fridge for ingredient storage.

Ideally, I would like to have conical fermenters (for my bigger batches) in seperate chambers, so they stay stationary, and I can adjust the temp to each chamber depending on what stage each brew is in.

My question is this - can one Johnson control, or something similar on the market control multiple chambers at the same temperature? Or is there a way I can split the wires, and rig it to do just that, without sacrificing performance? Is it possible for me to control multiple chambers, and individually change the temps? For example chamber 1 at 66F, while chamber 2 is in cold crashing stage at 35F? Is there anything on the market that can do this for a decent price?

Basically, I would like to purchase one control, and have the ability to expand with that same control..

Hmmmm........I don't know, but I'm watching to see!
The Johnson Controls can do "heat" and "cool"..........I wonder if it's possible to take the "heat" side of the output, and use the temp settings on that side for a cool environment control?

I'm not aware of any single off-the-shelf add-on device that could manage both cool and heat modes on two different systems.

The closest I can think of is a Love TSS2, which with the addition of a second probe can function as two independent single-stage controllers. Would be great for controlling a keezer and a cold-conditioning/holding fridge, but for fermentation systems you really want dual-stage control, and the TSS2 would be one or two stages short of a solution.

On a more positive note, you could build individual controllers for each system based on the STC-1000 general purpose two-stage temperature controller, for around $30 each. It wouldn't unify the control over all the things you eventually plan on doing, but it would standardize the solution...

Cheers!

On a more positive note, you could build individual controllers for each system based on the STC-1000 general purpose two-stage temperature controller, for around $30 each. It wouldn't unify the control over all the things you eventually plan on doing, but it would standardize the solution...

Cheers!

Took your advice and ordered a mini dual stage temperature control off Ebay for $17, and found a thread that walks you through the wiring procedure. Cant wait to start this project!! Oh, and the girl that was gonna sell me that chest freezer.. her boyfriend sold it a few hours before I was about to go pick it up :( Oh well, there are plenty out there.

You're right, this wont do what I was hoping to do, but at least it is a cheap alternative to controlling a single chamber, which is all I really need for right now. Thanks for the help! If I remember, I will post pictures when I get done.

I can't see how a single controller would work for 2 different chambers.

I do recommend the STC-1000 for this though. They can heat and cool at the same time, while the Johnson can only do one or the other and you have to open the thing up to change jumpers when you want to change modes.

The STC-1000 is cheap enough you can buy one for each chamber though.

I do recommend the STC-1000 for this though. They can heat and cool at the same time, while the Johnson can only do one or the other and you have to open the thing up to change jumpers when you want to change modes.

I have a dual stage Johnson controller... they make both a single and a dual.
I agree if the OP is a DIYer he can make them cheaper than the Johnson controllers. I also have a few STC's...

Agreed. I built a box with two STC's (1 for ferm chamber, the other for the kegerator) for less than the cost of one Johnson unit.

I have a dual stage Johnson controller... they make both a single and a dual.
I agree if the OP is a DIYer he can make them cheaper than the Johnson controllers. I also have a few STC's...

I haven't seen a dual Johnson. I know Ranco has a dual.

Is your Johnson digital? I think I remember an analogue dual stage...

I haven't seen a dual Johnson. I know Ranco has a dual.

Is your Johnson digital? I think I remember an analogue dual stage...

well S%$... I was positive it was a Johnson, now that you bring up Ranco.... I'm questioning myself.

Yes, they are both digital and both a light tan/off white color. They didn't come with a plug or cord, I added an outlet box to the bottom of them and on the dual stage one plug is cool and one plug is heat.

I will look as soon as I pull my motorcycle into the garage, I might as well pull a pint while I'm looking at it. But now I'm thinking your right. :(

Ranco is the whiteish color. Johnson is a medium grey.

In any case, the STC is decent for our purposes for the cost (If you want to wire it up yourself...) A Ranco is fine if you don't mind spending a bit more to have it just about ready to go and a bit more industrial.

One caveat about Ranco single and dual stage controllers: they do not have an anti-short-cycle function. It's one reason why I only use my Ranco for keeping a winter ferm cabinet warm - the 110W resistor array heater doesn't care about short-cycling...

Cheers!

Extension cord into the heat and the cool inlets. Set temps on the same freezer units and you're controlling two units but you better want the exact same temperatures. Cold crash together. Ferment together.

Back