John Guest fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plepper

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my kegerator build I'll be using a 2 door commercial fridge so plenty of storage for kegs and bottles I plan on 2 Intertap FC faucets and 2 picnic taps ( for Skeeter Pee and Cider ) to start with. I think I got everything figured out except tubing and fittings. I'm thinking all MFL with 3/16 line with John Guest fittings for beer and co2, any reason this wont work? Picnic taps will be on regular beer line for flexibility. I'm looking for the most reliable setup I can have.

Sounds like a solid plan. Just make sure the JG fittings are sized for your tubing selection and you should be in fine shape. I also recommend going with at least 10 foot runs of beer line - or 1 foot per PSI of CO2...

Cheers!

So the John Guest system will be more reliable than Oetiker Clamps? It seems they would be easier when it came time to change out hoses, but I'm having trouble finding info on their pressure rating and the 3/16 hose for co2.

I don't know that clamps vs JG fittings are not comparable wrt reliability, I use both in my keezer (a pair of the latter for each of the six flow meters I run) and have never had a leak...

Cheers!

John Guest, or more generically, Quick Connect fittings should be used with rigid walled tubing. Measure the tubing by it's outside diameter. Common quick connect sizes in your range are 1/4" and 3/8"

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/fittings/

Russ

I was wondering about the tubing the OP had in mind too.

Regular (flexible) vinyl 3/16" beer line is indeed not suitable for using with JG fittings. But the semi-rigid BevSeal Ultra line is. It's 5/16" OD (approx. 0.020" ID), so it fits inside JG 5/16" fittings. I think the prefered adapter material is acetal (carrying a PI or PM prefix).

However, your company doesn't seem to carry the 5/16" sizes commonly used in BevLex Ultra beer dispensing systems:
PI451015FS: John Guest Adapter - 5/16" to 5/8" BSPP (Shank connector)
PM4508F4S: John Guest Adapter - 5/16" to 1/4" MFL (QD connector)
PM220808S: John Guest Right-Angle Adapter 5/16" Stem to 5/16" Tube (Prevents kinking at shank)
PM0408S: John Guest Union Connector - 5/16" to 5/16" (Splicing lines)

Last edited:
I don't know that clamps vs JG fittings are not comparable wrt reliability, I use both in my keezer (a pair of the latter for each of the six flow meters I run) and have never had a leak...

Cheers!

Are those flow meters for gas or beer? Is their purpose to monitor beer left. What kind are they?

I don't use the JG adapters for gas line, didn't know you could. Just using regular, thick walled 1/4" ID BevLex 200 beer line, so I can see inside.

I was wondering about the tubing the OP had in mind too.

Regular (flexible) vinyl 3/16" beer line is indeed not suitable for using with JG fittings. But the semi-rigid BevSeal Ultra line is. It's 5/16" OD (approx. 0.020" ID), so it fits inside JG 5/16" fittings. I think the prefered adapter material is acetal (carrying a PI or PM prefix).

However, your company doesn't seem to carry the 5/16" sizes commonly used in BevLex Ultra beer dispensing systems:
PI451015FS: John Guest Adapter - 5/16" to 5/8" BSPP (Shank connector)
PM4508F4S: John Guest Adapter - 5/16" to 1/4" MFL (QD connector)
PM220808S: John Guest Right-Angle Adapter 5/16" Stem to 5/16" Tube (Prevents kinking at shank)
PM0408S: John Guest Union Connector - 5/16" to 5/16" (Splicing lines)

We can sure get some of those in. I think THAT's how it's supposed to work with Sponsors, right? We aim to please. As always, if there are parts HBT'ers want, we'll stock them!

Are those flow meters for gas or beer? Is their purpose to monitor beer left. What kind are they?[...].

The meters are SwissFlow SF800s and they work with my RaspberryPints automated tap list to keep track of keg volumes. They're amazingly precise.
I use them with the nearly generic Bevlex 200 solid pvc tubing using JG barbed adapters...

Cheers!

Back