Its allmost persimmen time again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chance9768

Reaction score
It wont be long and the persimmons will be ready to pick in my neck of woods. Last year we made jelly out of the tasty little bastards and it turned out great. Has anyone ever made a persimmon mead. If so did it turn out ok? Does anybody have any recipes for said mead?

The only recipes using persimmons I can find are for wine.

I have two decent size trees. Last year I got about 3 5-gallon buckets full of persimmons that mostly went to family. Mead would be a good use for them this year! Juice them, strain them, & ferment? Should the juice be pasteurized first?

Ok the persimmons are all ripe and I see no one has given me an answer. so I'll ask this question I'm looking for something that will finish out sweet. I use ec-1118 in my meads, I have never made a melomel so I'm lost. I'll be using three pounds of persimmons "meat" made into pulp and plan on adding honey till I get a good OG. problem is I don't have a clue as what gravity to go too. I have ec-1118 d 47 and red star premier cuvee on hand. This is going to be a one gallon experiment, any info from anyone would be great!

Wow, I want to grow some Persimmon in the future!

I have no clue, but 3 lbs in 1 gallon seems great. Let 'er rip :D

I'd shoot for 1.07 for an OG, but again I am inexperienced with Mead.

Ok the persimmons are all ripe and I see no one has given me an answer. so I'll ask this question I'm looking for something that will finish out sweet. I use ec-1118 in my meads, I have never made a melomel so I'm lost. I'll be using three pounds of persimmons "meat" made into pulp and plan on adding honey till I get a good OG. problem is I don't have a clue as what gravity to go too. I have ec-1118 d 47 and red star premier cuvee on hand. This is going to be a one gallon experiment, any info from anyone would be great!

I'd go with the D-47 if you want it to finish slightly sweet, it flocs well too. Some on this forum have had D-47 crap-out at @ 12% though & that's something to consider, I've never had that happen before. You can find some good profiles for many yeasts here: Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

I haven't ever had a persimmon, what do they taste like?
[better late than never] A persimmon is very similar to a peach but about the size of a plum, and tastes super bitter, like chalk-satan bitter, the most bitter thing you've ever tasted is a 10, a persimmon is 11, up until it's ripe and then it's totally sweet like a peach, but a more flowery flavor. Once it's ripe, it's only on the tree for a few hours before it drops. I haven't had one since I was a little kid in GA and we had a tree in the side yard that got cut down at some point for some reason. I wish I could find another local source for them.

Those aren't real persimmons, those are Asian. However, that's a badass project and a big thumbs up!

Down here in the Ozarks we have persimmons all over the place. I have a tree right outside my office that has loads every year. So this is my project for the year. we'll see how this turns out.

Back