ITC-308 with a fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to save an electrical outlet. I want to put a computer fan in my new keezer and I want it to run 24/7 ideally. Without splicing wires if possible. My thought was to use the heating outlet for that. Is there any way to get mess with the differentials so the fan runs 99% of the day except for the few minutes when the cool side needs to run?

Thanks

I don't think there's any mode on that controller that would support that.
And I don't understand the issue. If you could run a wire from the heat relay plug to a fan, you can run a dedicated wire to your fan. If you're outlet starved, plug one of these into a wall outlet and run a dedicated line to the fan:

31wtDlj8CgL._SX425_.jpg

A stirring fan running 24/7 is definitely advisable with a keezer. And I think you'll find you're underestimating the compressor duty cycle on a keezer in a typical environment. If you do really well with your probe placement you might get it down to 20%...

Cheers!

Thanks. This is my 2nd keezer (for sours) and it’s next to my first keezer. I don’t want them both plugged into same outlet and having the ITC power cord dangling to reach the 2nd outlet looks bad enough, was hoping to not have 2 wires stretching to the other outlet. Maybe I’ll just move the keezer to another side of the man-cave. I figured if the ITC thought it needed to heat the unit most of the day, and then cool it once an hr for 5mins, I’d be able to save myself from running the wires.

Thanks. This is my 2nd keezer (for sours) and it’s next to my first keezer. I don’t want them both plugged into same outlet

Why not? That's what I do.

and having the ITC power cord dangling to reach the 2nd outlet looks bad enough, was hoping to not have 2 wires stretching to the other outlet.

An extension cord with multiple outlets?

Maybe I’ll just move the keezer to another side of the man-cave. I figured if the ITC thought it needed to heat the unit most of the day, and then cool it once an hr for 5mins, I’d be able to save myself from running the wires.

I'm failing to taste the problem. I have an Inkbird controlling my keezer, and I don't have any need for heat in it at all. I also have a small fan stirring the air inside, and both the Inkbird and the fan run off the same outlet.

Why not? That's what I do.

An extension cord with multiple outlets?

I'm failing to taste the problem. I have an Inkbird controlling my keezer, and I don't have any need for heat in it at all. I also have a small fan stirring the air inside, and both the Inkbird and the fan run off the same outlet.

I figured the surge of 2 freezers at the same time would trip the circuit.

I know I won’t need heat. That’s the point of “tricking” the ITC to think it needs heat - aka run the fan all day.

F it. I’ll just get the extension cord. Keep it ghetto.

[...]I figured if the ITC thought it needed to heat the unit most of the day, and then cool it once an hr for 5mins, I’d be able to save myself from running the wires.

You should wait until you see how the keezer performs, as 5 minutes per hour ain't gonna happen unless your keezer is totally empty with the probe dangling inside. Or, it's outdoors in the Arctic Circle, in which case you'll have even bigger problems ;)

Cheers!

Back