ITC-1000 Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallgrass

Reaction score
I've had this IC-1000 laying around for the last year and plan on using it to control my window unit A/C chiller. The specs of the window A/C say 3.8A 410 watts. I also have a pump that draws 100 watts. All 110V. So my questions are:

1) Do I need an external relay? The specs I see for the relay say 10A/250V. Does that translate to 5A @110V? I have it wired temporarily now and seems to work fine without generating any heat.

2) Is the temp probe safe to go right in the water or does it need a thermowell?

I have used this chiller to cool wort before pitching for a while with good results. The goal here is to use an ITC-308 wifi I also have to control a pump to the fermenter. The 1000 would keep temp in the cooler and the 308 would just pump water when need to the fermenter.

Thanks for any help.

I'd say you shouldn't need an external relay, but it's not by a ton of headroom. Assuming both pump and compressor start together there will be an inductive "thump" to consider well above their steady state current ratings, but you have a bit more than 2X that total to work within.

I would not directly submerge any temperature probe to the point that its wire is also submerged, it's historically clear that's not the way towards longevity. Find another way, whether a thermowell or external (dry) measurement method...

Cheers!

Thanks. I built the 1000 into a large box, a tackle box actually, assuming I could switch to the 308 if needed. Doing some research I have seen different specs for the 308. I thought it was 12A for some reason now I see somewhere between 8.5 and 10. Brew hardware has conflicting info on the same page.

I'm a chronic second guesser and I think I relay is in order. I've rewired my whole house and the itc-1000 wasn't a challenge but I have no experience with relays other than understanding the principle. If you could point me to a product I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190928-181120_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190928-181120_Chrome.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 19
An internet search pointed me to a thread on this forum in which someone you may know posted the answer to all my questions. Product and wiring diagram.

Thanks again.

Back