it is time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrunner

Reaction score
well after lurking for a couple months, i conned swmbo into letting me pull the trigger on my first brew. just ordered the honey porter kit from midwest, along with a case of 22 oz bottles. borrowed an equipment kit from a friend at work, so i think i'll actually get to try this out. i have a turkey fryer already, sitting in the garage waiting for something to do. i'm sure i'll have a few "oh $@#*& moments, but it's time to actually give this a shot. it sounds like a lot of fun. any advice would be great, you guys have already helped more than you know just from reading all the posts here. between this and the online version of "how to brew" i think a total beginner can learn enough to be successful right away. so thanks guys.

nick

The best advice I can give a starting brewer is-

1. Watch your sanitation
2. Watch your ferment temp
3. Have fun!

Good luck. Keep it simple and have fun. Rarely are mistakes catastrophic. Take notes, so you know what went right and what to change next time.

Keep us posted on your brew day. :mug:

Have fun! This is an enjoyable hobby... The worst part is waiting for the first batch of brew to finish so you can RDWHAHB... Until then, substitute a good micro brew and keep the bottles until the next brewing session!

I started keeping notes from my first batch of beer onwards. It is fun to look at them to see how you are growing in your beer making, but it is also fun to be able to have all of your information in case you brew is a huge success and you want to make it again!

The best advice I can give a starting brewer is-

1. Watch your sanitation
2. Watch your ferment temp
3. Have fun!

+1 on the great importance of temperature control. Its the easiest and most important factor that you can control. Make sure you have a stick-on thermometer for your fermenter, and a good place or way to keep it at the temperature you need (I.E. around 66-68 for an ale). A water bath or even cool closet with a couple frozen gallon jugs set next to the fermenter and changed out a couple times a day would be a cheap strategy.

Remember that active fermentation will push up the beer temp a few degrees. This is when you want to have some way of controlling or limiting the temp. Then the temp will come back down afterwards (few days- week or two). If you can, keep it steady throughout this process. This takes some attention, but nothing too involved.

Cheers! I hope it's as exciting an experience for you as it always is for me! What a great hobby, welcome!

Back