Issues with fermenting 5 gallons in 5 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
Besides the guarantee of blow off, are there any downsides to fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy? The 5 gallon mark is just above where the carboy starts to curve in, but there is still several inches before the top, but not much headspace volume due to the curvature.

I have both 6.5 and 5 gallons carboys and was thinking of using both as primary fermenters. I've been using the 5 gallon as a secondary but everyone says not to unless dry hopping or adding wood chips or something. Once I get a freezer I may try cold crashing instead.

No you will be fine as long as you are set with blow offs...in secondary you want as little headspace as possible to prevent oxidation... I also agree that using a secondary is not necessary unless adding fruit or wood chips.... Dry hops can also be added to the primary as soon as fermentation is complete

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

What about using an over-sized (head space above volume) food grade bucket for the first few days, then a transfer to carboy?

Then you don't have a mess, and a hand full of hazards.

I have a brew started yesterday, its in a bucket, fluid level is at 22 L, the krausen foam line is at 28 L , so allow for at least 6 litres of foam ( I pitched 18 hours ago ! )

, are there any downsides to fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy?

Yes.

Filling ANY fermenter to its fullest capacity (or very close to it) is in my opinion just a waste of beer.

It's like pouring a full 16 ounces of beer into a glass that holds exactly 16 ounces. I'd rather use a larger glass and drink the beer rather than have to wipe it up off the bar top.

bosco

Or consider adding some fermcap S to your beer during the boil and it should help reduce the krausen from fermentation.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

if you set up a decent blowoff, fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy is great because the nasty, bitter braunhefe exits the carboy

if you set up a decent blowoff, fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy is great because the nasty, bitter braunhefe exits the carboy

Whatever braun hefe doesn't stick to the walls of my fermenter when the krausen recedes winds up in the trub on the bottom, and I let the yeast play with it for a week or so.:D

But when I go through the trouble of making 6.5 gallons of a good wort I expect to get 6 gallons of ale into my bottles and let the hefe feed my septic tank with the rest of the trub...LOL

bosco

... are there any downsides to fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy?

Yes.

Filling ANY fermenter to its fullest capacity (or very close to it) is in my opinion just a waste of beer.

The only downside is losing about a gallon out your blow off tube, as said above, kind like pouring a pint in a 12 oz glass, 4 oz goes on the bar top...

The only downside is losing about a gallon out your blow off tube, as said above, kind like pouring a pint in a 12 oz glass, 4 oz goes on the bar top...

Are you saying that I will lose a gallon of beer from blowoff only?

What about using an over-sized (head space above volume) food grade bucket for the first few days, then a transfer to carboy?

Then you don't have a mess, and a hand full of hazards.

The idea of using my secondary as a primary is mainly to avoid moving beer around potentially causing infection.

Reformulate your recipe to 3 gallons.

With the amount of time and effort it takes to do a single batch, I'd like to get the most volume possible. But yes, that is an option.

With the amount of time and effort it takes to do a single batch, I'd like to get the most volume possible. But yes, that is an option.

My sentiments exactly. As far as the brown hefe getting blown out through a blow off or, as some have done in the past, skimming the krausen off their fermenting beer I think that is not a common practice. I never do it and don't think any of my beers/ales suffer from the lack of doing it.

Maybe it was more important before the more modern and cleaner strains of yeast. ?????

I know that in some open fermentations the krausen flows over the tanks and spills out on the brewery floor.

Maybe others can chime in on the practice with more information.

bosco

Reformulate your recipe to 3 gallons.
I understand, but that's my point and my advice: reformulate your recipe to your maximum volume, which is not 5 gallons. Go for 4 gallons if you think 3 is too small, but I think you're likely to lose some beer to blowoff, which will reduce your total volume of beer anyway.

The idea of using my secondary as a primary is mainly to avoid moving beer around potentially causing infection.

I wouldn't worry about infection at that stage. The beer is not at any greater risk than it was the first time you sanitized everything.

I understand, but that's my point and my advice: reformulate your recipe to your maximum volume, which is not 5 gallons. Go for 4 gallons if you think 3 is too small, but I think you're likely to lose some beer to blowoff, which will reduce your total volume of beer anyway.

If people insist on doing one stage fermentation it's better to do the above with a carboy than to do a regular volume in a bucket-- with no secondary.

Having said that, why don't people just do things properly? One stage fermentation is a dirty practice. Quite literally. The time you save sanitizing a couple bits of equipment, you will give back scrubbing/brushing, and possibly mopping. Also, if your unlucky your beer will taste bad.

--Adam Salene

Back